Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:46 PM   #1

Default Panny 14-45mm lens is the one for PEN

The moment I put a panny 14-42mm on my EPL1, I loved it and sold the oly kit immediately. No contest between the two, IQ and feature wise, especially I care about videoing.

Later I also sold the panny 14-42 because of the two imperfections: on EPL1, OIS won't work and softness at 14mm won't be corrected in body.

Then I bought a panny 14-45mm, everything is perfect, just like I expected.

I regret I did not give panny lens a try much sooner and wasted so much time and efforts with the oly kit. Everybody here says the oly kit is sharp and good. What a mistake.

What I can say? Don't waste your money and time with the oly kit lens, MK I or II; go get a panny 14-45mm and be happy, especially if you ever shoot video. The MK II is better than the I for video, but still not good for video, lacking of OIS (no, never enable PEN's IS for video!). If its IQ is like before, then still no compare to panny.

BTW, panny's JPEG and MJPEG engines suck, no question about that. Noise is high and raw-to-jpeg/mjpeg quality is low, no need to mention the colors. However, AVCHD video look great.

Panny 14-45mm on E-PL1 @14mm f3.5:

Panny 14-45mm on GF1 @14mm f3.5:

Panny 14-45mm on E-Pl1 @14mm f5.6:
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 23, 2011, 10:55 PM   #2

actually to be fair, people did said for video get the panny lens. especially the 14-140. For stills, the oly kit 1 lens is better then the panny 14-42 kit lens. I know I mention on couple of post if you are into video, the panny lens was the way to go. Especially the 14-140
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:18 PM   #3
Super Moderator

i have great luck with my epl1 and kit for stills, its very sharp. but it was a bit soft on video, my 20 1.7 and my fd 50 1.4 worked much better for vidz on the epl1.
Old Mar 23, 2011, 11:53 PM   #4

Yeah, the 14-140mm is over $700, out of question, beside it is large and heavy. Replacing the oly kit with a panny 14-45mm, you don't loose anything, all gain. Weight, size and cost all are similar. 14-45mm priced the same as the oly 14-42 MK II for $300.

Why everybody did not bother to try a panny kit lens on oly is interesting. Big mistake. I know other lenses such as 20mm/1.7 and 45-200 are often mentioned on oly, but they are not as primary as 14-42/45.

Even for stills, oly's 14-42mm is no compare to the panny, even the 14-42mm. Otherwise I won't have sold it without a second thought, simply no point to keep it. The only point about it is that it is 15 mm shorter. If you shoot wide open @14mm, then the oly kit may be sharper than panny 14-42 due to in-body correction at work. The 14-45mm is sharp from edges to edges in the first place.

Now I believe that Leica really knows how to make lenses.

Last edited by sdcs; Mar 24, 2011 at 12:16 AM.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 12:33 AM   #5

People did with other panny models, the 45-200 is fantastic on the pen for less then 300 so is the 20 1.7. The new panny kit 14-45 is pretty new and the older panny kit is not better for then the oly 14-42. Especially on the photography end of the game. The new lens is less then a year old.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 4:17 AM   #6

No matter how good they are, neither 45-200 nor the 20mm can replace the 14-42. For most people, they need a good kit zoom first in the 14-42 range. All other lenses have their limits or downsides, such as focal length too long or too short, or too large and heavy.

I just wish people don't make the mistake again like I did. If I could do it again, I'd buy an oly body only and a panny 14-45mm lens, then just happy shooting. It really is the most ideal kit to start with, anything else can be considered later in no hurry.

New panny cameras come with the new 14-42 kit lens that's not as good as the old 14-45mm. The 14-45 has a metal mount, extremely smooth zoom ring and clean glass. The 14-42 is all plastic with a very jerky zoom ring and one or two visible glass nits (my oly's kit has even more).
Old Mar 24, 2011, 10:34 AM   #7

I would not say the oly 14-42 is a mistake for photo, you will see a ton of great photos form the mu43 forum with the oly kit lens producing excellent photos. So for the photo guys it is a good kit lens.

If the 14-45 works for you then it is the lens for you. Because there is testing and tons of photo to back that fact. But as a kit lens, it really is no better then the others out there like there for photos with either panny or olympus. If it shoots video better then it is a good option for video guys. But it does not shoot photos better, it is about the same.

Last edited by shoturtle; Mar 24, 2011 at 2:46 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:06 PM   #8

Both Panny 14-42 and 14-45 produce better photos than the oly 14-42 on my EPL1. For photos, I actually like panny 14-42 more than 14-45, because it is more stunning and impressive.

As I said, other specialty lenses do better photos for the purposes they are designed for, but they are not one-for-all like the standard zoom.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 2:50 PM   #9

That is personal taste, not fact. Couple of lens test were done at review sites. I always tell people to bring a card with them when testing cameras an lenses, so one might a way the one lens produce and camera process over another.

And there is a image thread over at mu43.com that show that all the kit lenses can produce great images, it comes down the personal preference. If we stick with fact, optically the oly kit is better, but not by any real margin for photos.
Old Mar 24, 2011, 3:32 PM   #10

Check slrgear's tests about which is optically better, they tested all the 3 kit lenses mentioned above. Interestingly, they used PEN to test them. Actually I did my own test first, then did a google search and found slrgear that confirmed my findings.

Even with the help of in-body correction, the oly kit still shows more geometric distortion than panny without correction. The oly kit is sharp, but I'm not sure whether that's due to correction or optical itself. At least above photo shows how sharp the 14-45mm is, from edges to edges, before any correction.