Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Apr 8, 2011, 11:25 PM   #1

Default PENs and video

For those wondering about how effective the PEN cameras are for shooting video, it is worthwhile checking on youtube for the results of the 2011 Vail 48 Hour Short Film Festival. Yes, the event was sponsored by Olympus and the cameras, lenses and accessories were supplied by Oly. The winning entry -- Running Colors -- was shot using an E-PL2. I think these are a good example of what can be achieved with our PENs.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 9, 2011, 1:38 AM   #2

nice to know that olympus is supporting the pen's HD growth.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 12:45 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
For those wondering about how effective the PEN cameras are for shooting video, it is worthwhile checking on youtube for the results of the 2011 Vail 48 Hour Short Film Festival. Yes, the event was sponsored by Olympus and the cameras, lenses and accessories were supplied by Oly. The winning entry -- Running Colors -- was shot using an E-PL2. I think these are a good example of what can be achieved with our PENs.
Olympus is still cheating on its "HD"? If oly really wants to survive in the era of video, go add AVCHD codec and put in a more powerful HD processor that have adequate processing power to do video compressing and C-AF at the same time. Also make some video lenses that have built-in OIS, because the IBIS is garbage for video.

Yes I know professionals can get good video from PEN by using huge MF lenses and tripod in studios, but can oly make a living by selling to these pros only?
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 9:39 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdcs View Post
...If oly really wants to survive in the era of video...
I think oly wants to survive in the era of "Unleashing your imagination." These cameras can capture wonderfully detailed still images. Shooting video is an added bonus.

Quote:
Yes I know professionals can get good video from PEN by using huge MF lenses and tripod in studios...
And anyone can shoot good video from a PEN or other such non-dedicated video cameras. One just needs to understand how to get the best quality image from the equipment they have at their disposal.

Quote:
...but can oly make a living by selling to these pros only?
Oly will make a living selling their products not just to pros, but to anyone who wants to capture images that please.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2011, 11:54 PM   #5

actually I just watch the video on the olympus youtube channel. Pretty good store line, and the video looks really nice. Those video guys really know how to use the camera and have some nice video editing software.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 5:51 PM   #6

Default That about sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
I think oly wants to survive in the era of "Unleashing your imagination." These cameras can capture wonderfully detailed still images. Shooting video is an added bonus.

And anyone can shoot good video from a PEN or other such non-dedicated video cameras. One just needs to understand how to get the best quality image from the equipment they have at their disposal.

Oly will make a living selling their products not just to pros, but to anyone who wants to capture images that please.
sdcs,
Your vehemence for the Oly PEN and HD video has been espoused aplenty on here. I just don't see why it is that important for you to go to such lengths to make it known more than once.
Oly was never a consideration for me for anything they made. The EPL1 changed that. I find that the video is more than adequate to fit my needs but more importantly as a photographic tool it's as simple as a point and shoot in "Auto" mode, but the results are fantastic.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 8:22 PM   #7

Viz,

I think Kula got it right, it is more about the skills of the person to get the most out of the system. The ones that do shoot hd with the pen's have posted links to their video's which shows nice results. Hollywood have used the pens to film scenes and you can see those scene on DVD in the movie secratereit.

But the ones that complain all the time have yet to post a link to a video illustrating the problem. And that is all we ever hear, but never any video links to back the claim. I say yes the panny shoot better hd, as it does it in 1080p vs 720p. But on a computer screen of 27 inch, I really do not see the difference between the 2 format. Now on my 65" HD TV I most certainly will.

Last edited by shoturtle; Apr 14, 2011 at 11:50 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2011, 11:46 PM   #8

shoturtle,
You and Kula said it best. I have seen many video movies done with a PEN with every and any lens available that is compatible with it. I see it as maximizing the tool at hand.
vIZnquest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2011, 7:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vIZnquest View Post
shoturtle,
You and Kula said it best. I have seen many video movies done with a PEN with every and any lens available that is compatible with it. I see it as maximizing the tool at hand.

As someone who has an E-PL1 and didn't buy it for it's video capabilities, I never the less, love to take candid videos of my grandkids playing and horsing around. I've used both the 14-42mm kit lens as well as the 9-18 UWA m43 lens. I find it is about as easy as one can make it.

Granted, I'm not doing anything professional, but it suits my needs just fine. And, at the current price of about 450USD, i'm not sure what anyone would have to complain about.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2011, 5:36 PM   #10

For a "bonus" feature, why Oly has been making a big deal about it? Brag about this bonus by "shooting a PEN commercial with a PEN", sponsoring such shooting video competition again and again.

If Oly advertised video as a bonus only and never bragged about it, I would have had no complain.
sdcs is offline   Reply With Quote