Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old May 26, 2011, 4:52 PM   #1

Default Jumped in this afternoon..

Well, I ordered an E-PL2 this afternoon from B&H- and the VF2 viewfinder directly from Olympus USA store, which seems to be the only place you can get one.
While I'm particularly interested in longer f/l lenses for it, I didn't get the 150 zoom with it... I think there's other lenses I'd rather have. I have an old K-mount 200mm zoom from a Pentax 35mm camera I'm going to get a Fotodiox adaptor for and try, also interested in other/better options for a long zoom for the E-PL2. Looking forward to getting it!
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 26, 2011, 9:06 PM   #2

Hi Wes,

Congrats!

Hope you like the ELP-2. I think you did the right thing to hold off getting any add'l lenses for it. It's best to get the camera, see if it meets your needs, take some time to familiarize yourself with it, then determine what it is that you're missing.
Also, on the long focal length, don't forget that the 2X factor makes that Pentax K-mount 200mm lens equiv. to a 400mm lens on the ELP-2.

The electronic viewfinder you will find it to be well worth the money.

zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2011, 9:10 PM   #3

Funny story... I went to the local Navy Exchange today... intent on getting a Nikon P500. Superzooms have a lot going for them in what I like to shoot. I had been studying the P500's, and looked at it several times. Decided to spring for one this afternoon, but when I went back, all they had left was the display model- which is out on a roped handle, where everyone can handle them and mess with them- and there's no way I'd take one that had been handled that way/fingerprints on the lens, etc.... so I went back to work and ordered the E-PL2!
Wes
Old May 26, 2011, 9:44 PM   #4

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll be pleased with the E-PL2... and the VF-2 is the best EVF I have ever worked with. Remember, you can use all micro four-thirds lenses on that Oly... including those made by Panasonic. Two Panny suggestions for long zooms: the surprisingly good 45-200mm (90-400mm equivalent), which runs under $300, and the 100-300mm (200-600mm equivalent), which is under $500.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2011, 11:07 AM   #5

Wes
Have to agree with Zig about getting used to your new camera before diving in and buying new lenses. Using the "magic" adapter being able to put on my old Nikkor has been fun, please with the results with my 55mm Micro, less so with my 105. More work needed to sort out the settings for the IBS when using these lenses. And it is helping me to better understand what lens I will buy when I decide to pick a new M4/3s lens.

So have fun with the camera and the kit lens (which is still my first choice for walk abouts)
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 8:20 AM   #6

Default Just received the E-PL2...

I just received the camera yesterday, and am finding out this camera is not very intuitive- as well as having a lousy owners manual! An index located starting on Pg. 24??? First item I see when I press menu is Card Setup/Format??? Why would they put something that you rarely do as the very first menu item?? Is there a way to reorganize the menu's- so that more important items come up first?
Some cameras seem very intuitive... everything seems to fall right to hand- and menu structures make sense- and are very well organized. This camera, on the other hand, seems to be the opposite.
I want very much to get comfortable with this camera, and to fall in love with it- I think the M4/3 concept is great, is there anything anyone might have to say to help me get my head wrapped around this camera better than it is right now?? Thanks!
Wes
Old Jun 1, 2011, 9:49 AM   #7

Default Would an E-PL1 book help with my ELP-2??

Additional thought... I looked on Amazon- I see a book on the E-PL1, but none on the E-PL2... are the menu structures of the two camera's similar enough that that book might help me with the camera??
Old Jun 1, 2011, 11:30 AM   #8

The menus should be similar, but you might also want to go read this review of the E-PL2 that goes over the menu system in-depth..

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/olympus/e_pl2-review

There are an unbelieveable number of ways to configure these cameras. Having used Olympus now for several years, the menus are very similar from model to model and makes getting used to new models easier, but to say they can be a little complex for a new user is stating the obvious!

Fortunately, once you have many options set, the need to go deep menu diving can be avoided by using the main control panel viewable on the back LCD.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1, 2011, 12:04 PM   #9

Default Thanks as well-

Thanks, Greg- I'll check it out. More advice most welcome!
Wes
Old Jun 1, 2011, 4:27 PM   #10

Greg-
I finally had time to sit down and look through the reference you provided, and think it'll be a big help. I intend to print it out and put it in with the owners handbook I printed out.
Thanks so much for your link/help.
Wes