Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jun 16, 2011, 3:38 PM   #1

Default rumor m4/3 bodies and lenses

There is allot of excitement with the announcement of 3 new pen bodies, with a much faster AF with the new lens motors coming out, something that will make the pen's allot more appealing.

But the big new of a 12mm F2 and a 45mm 1.8 are very welcome news for m4/3 uses. Think june 30th will be a good day for oly m4/3 users.
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:21 PM   #2

Yes, there are some pretty nice-sounding lenses in the pipeline. Add the 45mm f.8 Olympus to a Panasonic 14mm f2.5 (or an Olympus 12mm f2), 20mm f1.7 and you've got a pretty powerful 3 prime lens outfit to work with.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2011, 8:26 PM   #3

yeah, the oly 45 1.8 is on my list, think the oly 12 f2 as well. The 25 1.4 is interesting but the FL is to close to the 20 1.7 and only 1/3 of a stop difference in aperture. I do not think it will be that much of a different to make me want to replace the 20 1.7 with it.
Old Jun 16, 2011, 9:24 PM   #4

Yes, the 20mm lens is a good focal length. Over time I have owned several of the little Rollei 35's with its' fixed 40mm f3.5 or f2.8 lenses and that's what the 20mm f1.7 Panansonic lens on the Pen reminds me of. The Rollei 35 had it's own operational quirks, just like the E-PL1. Depending on the feature set, the E-P3 may need a long, hard look.
Old Jun 19, 2011, 5:10 AM   #5

Well, this morning, 43rumors.com has a photo mock up of the 12mm f2.0 Oly lens posted. Only 850 USD. Looks like June 30th is the press release date
http://www.43rumors.com/

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2011, 10:42 AM   #6

I figured that one being high, but that's on the high-end of what I was thinking. Maybe a little above! If it was a "regular" external design the price probably wouldn't be so low, but it looks like they're dressing it up on a pretty high level, which will add quite a bit to the price.

That's more than the no-discount price of the 11-22mm f2.8-3.5 Digital Zuiko I am thinking about getting as a second option to the 12-60 to use with the 50-200 on my E5 (or the Pen). A fast 24mm wide angle is just what this system needs. No doubt people will wait in line to get one. Probably not me though. At least, not right away. I would probably be more inclined to get the 45mm f1.8 first.

Without an on-body AF assist light, the only micro-specific lens that will focus reliably on the Pen in low light when I want to use flash indoors is the Panny 20mm f1.7. I'm thinking the 45mm f1.8 would make it two lenses and give me more of a portrait focal length option. Here's a shot I took this morning of my kitty in a very dark living room with the E-PL1, 20mm f1.7 and Olympus FL50R with the flash set to non-TTL auto and bounced with the lens wide open and pretty darn close because of the semi-wide angle coverage of the 20mm f1.7. The 45 should be an excellent lens, will give more working room and allow me to use the Pen every once & a while vs. the DSLR I always use because it focuses more reliably with my standard zoom lenses for these type shots..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jun 19, 2011 at 11:57 AM.
Old Jun 21, 2011, 9:32 AM   #7

Well, the information being posted on 43rumors.com gets more and more interesting with each passing day.

Today, they have details on the supposed new sensor being employed on the 3 new PEN series cameras about to be released on thew 30th of June.

What interesting to me, is the continuing references to significant AF speed improvement.

Now, that would be nice.

I guess we shall just have to wait and see.
http://www.43rumors.com/

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2011, 10:21 AM   #8

They obviously have not been able to incorporate the SWD-type technology into the contrast AF system. It sounds like they have developed the micro replacement of the SWD motor that will be used in subsequent new models, or maybe just the higher-end lenses. The current single-element internal AF systems in the micro 9-18, 14-150, etc, is pretty darn fast already. The are definitely faster than the micro motored (non-SWD) 4/3rd's lenses.

Now they just need to make the same big advances in the few specific areas where the EVF is still lagging and makes extremely fast AF a moot point when you cannot frame the subject fast enough to use it.