Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 3, 2011, 2:46 AM   #1

Default The M. Zuiko 75-300mm f3.8-6.7 Has Arrived!

OK, this is a whole new game compared to the Micro Four-Thirds Zuikos I have purchased to this point..

Went by the local budget tower of doom, Arlington Camera, and picked this baby up Saturday afternoon. Wow, what a well put-together lens......for the price, it should be!

Amazingly small for a lens with this much reach, words really do not do the size justice, so here it is side-by-side with a couple of lenses many here probably have experience with, the 50-200mm f2.8-3.5 SWD Zuiko from my 4/3rd's DSLR outfit and the Micro kit 40-150, both at the shortest zoom length..

and longest. Well, darn, I see I didn't get the 75-300 all the way to 300mm(!), but take it from me, it does not extend much further going the rest of the way...

The zoom mechanism is smooooooth as butter. My Four-thirds 70-300 Zuiko (on loan to another user right now) has a buttery smooth zoom mechanism, and this micro 75-300 is every bit as smooth, if not a little nicer, it has a very well-made metal mount, and here's something I did not expect to see..

Yes, made in Japan. Maybe the other better-made Micro Zuikos like the 9-18 and 14-150 are as well. I found this inscription by accident when I got home this evening and was preparing to put it in the bag.

Images in the next reply..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 3, 2011 at 3:25 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:01 AM   #2

OK, on to some images, all taken with my E-PL1. First, the full-sized images are all posted here..

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...649741_n3ZnC3M

These first shots are JPEG's straight out of the E-PL1 with no adjustments whatsoever..

On to some images at the ballpark from late this afternoon and evening. These were captured RAW and processed in Adobe Camera RAW/Photoshop CS5..

First, using the 8mm Zuiko Fisheye, here was my location during the game..

The TV guys set this next scene up for the cameras to zoom in on, no doubt out of a commercial break. This was shot at ISO 400, 300mm and wide open at f6.7. This is a hyperlink so clicking on the image will open it up on my website if you want to see a larger copy..

Waiting to catch a home run during batting practice..

Eye-level with the foul pole, again wide open f6.7 at 300mm and ISO 400..

At the batting cage, and you can see here I was behind and shooting through the protective netting..

Centerfield board..

Visitors in the visitors dugout before the game, again ISO 400 and 300mm at f6.7..

Pre-game, this time I'm up to ISO 800 and wide open at 300mm..

A few more in the next post..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 3, 2011 at 3:27 AM.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 3:22 AM   #3

In these next images, the ambient light is falling so the ISO's are climbing..

The Army band that played the National Anthem, at ISO 1250..

Exchanging lineup cards at ISO 1600..

First batter on-deck at ISO 3200. The lighting on the periphery of the field is not nearly as bright as what's between the foul lines. This is wide open at ISO 3200 and 300mm. The fans you see are behind two nets. The one I am shooting through and the one that separates them from the batter..

The result of getting hit with a batted ball where no catcher should ever get hit, at ISO 1600..

End of a run-down at ISO 2500, with some blur due to movement because I'm down to 1/640 shutter speed at this point..

Injured picther at ISO 2500..

Safe, at ISO 3200 and wide open at 300mm and 1/500 second..

After the game I shot these next two from my car in the parking lot. This first one is ISO 3200 and 94mm at 1/100 second..

Then, ISO 2500 and 1/160 second and zoomed to 124mm..

Old Jul 3, 2011, 4:35 AM   #4

Hi Greg,

Another very fine and informative post. The images posted as well as the images in your gallery are really sharp and very detailed.

The 75-300mm has been one of the m.43 lenses on my wanted list as it provides tremendous focal range. I've been reticent to get one because of the cost as well as a lack of user comments, etc. Your post has answered a lot of questions.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2011, 12:32 PM   #5

Yes, the cost is definitely something to make one pause and think....

It's a MAJOR investment in this system and one I wish I had made a few months earlier now that I've seen the capabilities/sharpness, which I figured was the case just based on the optical construction, but it also is definitely High Grade quality in terms of construction. All that, yet they kept the size so amazingly small.

Only someone moving up from a truly pocket point & shoot would consider it even remotely heavy. It's a super feather-weight compared to even the Four-Third 70-300, which is a lightweight compared to the 50-200.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:31 AM   #6

Is there a defect with your lens -- everything is nice and crisp. But the ball players pants look distorted, as if they were bad fitting
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2011, 9:50 AM   #7

looks like a kick butt lens. Thanks for the writeup.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 1:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Is there a defect with your lens -- everything is nice and crisp. But the ball players pants look distorted, as if they were bad fitting
Nope, no defect there. The pants these guys wear do fit bad, and many of them make it look even worse the various way they wear them!
Old Jul 5, 2011, 4:58 PM   #9

Very nice series on how well the 75-300 preforms at the long end. Very sharp at 300mm, not soft like other 300mm options.