Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 5, 2011, 8:42 AM   #1

Question spilled beer on the body

Hey guys, is there a way to clean the body of my EPL-1 ? the keys all function perfect but they stick just a little bit when first depressed, but after the first depression then don't stick until the next use hours later or what ever.

Thanks
Old Jul 5, 2011, 9:46 AM   #2

That's a tough one. I cannot really think of a good, safe way to clean it. With the buttons sticking it sounds like it needs to be taken apart and thoroughly cleaned, meaning (for me) a trip to the Olympus service center.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2011, 5:02 PM   #3

yeah I had a moment and it just happened. I was hoping there was a spray that I could use some electrical contact cleaner in a can.

thanks for the reply.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:05 AM   #4

In the old days (film), I would use lens cleaner to clean my camera bodies. Relatively fast drying and left no chemical residue. Better/safer than carbon tetrachloride cleaners that we used to clean film. I would take a q-tip, give it a wrap of lens cleaning tissue and put a few drops of fluid on the tip, then gently go in around the dials and openings. For the rest of the body, again lens cleaning tissue and lens cleaning fluid in a loose wad.

In your case, how thoroughly did your beverage get to your camera. If all seems to be working, then the contacts beneath the buttons seem okay, other than the stick. I would try the above cleaning method making sure not to soak the q-tip. Use the q-tip to depress the buttons and wipe entire exposed surface. This just might be enough to remove the sticking points.

But if your controls are really sticky -- your beverage really got inside the camera -- then Greg's advise is your only real option. If you think the case screws look small, the ones on the inside are really small. And awkward. And warranty voiders.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 2:47 PM   #5

thanks Kula, I will try that. The spill was very minor. It just effects the buttons on the LCD side of the camera. Its just a minor annoyance is all. They all work perfect.
Old Aug 1, 2011, 6:40 AM   #6

update: I used a very very small amount of WD40 on a Qtip and swabbed it all around the sticking buttons and WALA! all better.
Old Aug 2, 2011, 6:20 PM   #7

WD40 really is a miracle spray. Always amazed at the many uses folks come up with. On your camera though, I'd go over the areas again and again with clean qtips to remove any residue of the WD40. It can attract grit and dust.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2011, 7:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
WD40 really is a miracle spray. Always amazed at the many uses folks come up with. On your camera though, I'd go over the areas again and again with clean qtips to remove any residue of the WD40. It can attract grit and dust.

yeah I figured as much. I went over it with a qtip and some windex. I really saved myself here. Oil does attract dirt but at least the buttons dont stick
Old Aug 3, 2011, 10:05 AM   #9

Another solution: foam for computer cleaning. It works miracles.
Old Aug 3, 2011, 9:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordo View Post
Another solution: foam for computer cleaning. It works miracles.

I never knew they made a foam. I just knew of the parts cleaner spray and compressed air.