Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:52 PM   #1

Default New M.Zuiko lenses -- Macro?

Does any one else wish that Oly had introduced a prime macro lens for the micro four thirds family?

When I think back to the 35mm film days, many of the photogs that I worked with chose the Micro-Nikkor 55 as their go-to lens. It was more useful than the standard 50mm -- you could handle the exec portraits as well as capture up close their latest widget that was about to come to market.

The new portrait lens is sure to be a nice lens. But for me I'd be quicker to slap down the plastic if the lens had been a macro.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2011, 3:56 PM   #2

Yeah, it would be nice if m4/3 had another true macro besides the panny leica 45mm. I went a different route to save a bunch of money, the 4/3 35 3.5 with the adapter. Nice macro lens and still compact on the pen's. And only 250 dollar with everything, as I found a deal on the lens and adapter.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:05 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
I went a different route to save a bunch of money, the 4/3 35 3.5 with the adapter. Nice macro lens and still compact on the pen's. And only 250 dollar with everything, as I found a deal on the lens and adapter.
That would be a good route to go. Unfortunately, up here "north of the 49th" one rarely if ever finds the word 'deal' associated with the word 'olympus'
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:09 PM   #4

yeah, but I do find them on ebay at times in canada. But even at full price, it is still 320 dollars vs 700 for the panasonic leica 45 2.8. Still over 1/2 the cost
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:23 PM   #5

For what it is worth,

B&H Photo.com has a used Olympus 35mm macro for the fourthirds system
@ 185.00 USD. Not a bad price and B&H warranties what they sell.

I also buy used lenses from KEH.com. They in addition to Adorama.com have good reputations as being honest and standing behind their used products.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:25 PM   #6

the other thing to keep the price down is to get the panasonic 4/3 adapter instead, it is 50-60 dollars cheaper then the olympus one, work exactly the same.
Old Jul 6, 2011, 4:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
the other thing to keep the price down is to get the panasonic 4/3 adapter instead, it is 50-60 dollars cheaper then the olympus one, work exactly the same.
Hi,

And thanks, as I omitted the fact that I use the Panasonic 4/3 to m43 adapter.
I bought it for the same reason you pointed out.

Build quality is excellent I might add.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2011, 10:33 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Does any one else wish that Oly had introduced a prime macro lens for the micro four thirds family?

When I think back to the 35mm film days, many of the photogs that I worked with chose the Micro-Nikkor 55 as their go-to lens. It was more useful than the standard 50mm -- you could handle the exec portraits as well as capture up close their latest widget that was about to come to market.

The new portrait lens is sure to be a nice lens. But for me I'd be quicker to slap down the plastic if the lens had been a macro.
While it would have been nice, I think the 45mm 1.8 is going to sell in large numbers for Olympus at $399 and focuses relatively close at .5 meters. I would imagine a 50mm f2 macro would have been somewhere well north of $500, maybe even $600, which would have dampened some peoples' desire to buy it right away.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote