Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:46 PM   #1

Default Playing with a new toy - Panasonic 45-200

Ordered it on the 4th, and got it yesterday. Trying to get a feel for it, and how it's different from the kit lens (14-42) I have now. You'll have to bear with me as I figure out what I'm doing. Mostly just different shots of things around the house.

My impressions so far:
It's a lot bigger than the kit lens, so I don't know how it's going to do on my bike rides.

It doesn't always seem to focus on what I want it to, so even though it may be faster to lock focus than the kit lens, all that time and more is lost if I have to redo it.

Low light focus seems problematic.

Main reason I got it is for the longer reach, but having that extra reach is something I'm not used to, so there's a learning curve.

Minimum focus distance is 3ft, a lot farther out than the 10 or so inches of the kit lens, so another learning curve.
Attached Images

Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:01 PM   #2

Are you using the smaller AF box with your pen? You will get much better AF lock on the thing you are trying to lock on.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:09 PM   #3

I just got it 2 weeks ago as well. I also ditched the 14-42 Olympus lens and went with the Panasonic 14-42. I hated the lock feature on the Olympus lens.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:12 PM   #4

edit: stupid photobucket is not showing my re-sized pic.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 9:21 PM   #5

This is what that lens can do at 200mm
Attached Images

Old Jul 8, 2011, 5:46 AM   #6

Old Jul 8, 2011, 8:53 AM   #7

shoturtle: Yes, I've tried the small focus box, and it does seem a little better but a couple of things trip me up. On the one hand it doesn't seem to stay put, so I have to move it around the LCD to get it where I want. That's probably a user error, and might work better if I started that way first instead of after trying with the bigger box. The second is that I've been able get used to S-AF+MF on the kit lens where I get the AF lock then use manual focus to touch up the focus. The problem with doing that on the Panasonic is that at 200mm, fiddling with the buttons and focus makes me lose what ever I'm trying to capture. Again, probably user error. Also the 14x at 200mm, especially on the back LCD (I think I'm going to really want a VF-2 eventually) is really hard to keep still. I'd like something more like a 7x, but I can't find a setting. Still, I think I do like the lens, just going to take some getting used to.

BTW, you can make an elephant paint with your lens? As you can see, my dog just lays there.

lotust: Cute baby! Thanks for posting!
Old Jul 8, 2011, 12:00 PM   #8

when you are on the small box, bumping the buttons will cause the point to move, also if you do have the large AF box set to a different point, it will go to the center point of that box.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:23 PM   #9

shoturtle: yeah, that's what I'm seeing, just need to get comfortable with it I guess. One thing, I was carrying it around last night and noticed some clicking. I didn't investigate too closely, but I'm guessing the image stabilization?
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:58 PM   #10

That is normal, it is the aperture stopping down or opening up.