Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:09 PM   #1

Default Closeups with the E-PL1 and 75-300

Did a very abbreviated walk early this afternoon at the Heard Nature Center before our monthly club meeting started. By the time I dragged back in to the main building my tongue was dragging. It is so freakin hot right now and, it seems, very humid as well.

I used the tripod today. The Pen and lens are so light it feels like I'm just carrying the tripod, and the tripod is carbon fiber so that's very light. It's just rediculous how easy this thing is to carry, which was a good thing today.

The 75-300 focuses as close as 2.96 feel at 75mm. Once you zoom to 76mm or longer the close focus distance drops off to 5 feet...the one negative compared to the four-thirds 70-300. In every other feature the 75-300 is the much better lens. I definitely decided after today I am going to get the Canon 500D closeup lens for when I want to shoot closeups with this lens. Fortunately, they do make one with a 58mm filter thread..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...e_up_Lens.html

These were captured RAW and processed in Adobe Camera RAW/CS5.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 9, 2011 at 9:17 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:29 PM   #2

Really nice Greg. The soft green background on these really give the shots an almost dreamy feel.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 4:24 PM   #3

Thanks, Steven. I do like the out of focus backgounds that longer lenses give when shot at the tele end and near the closest focus distance.

After searching high and low, I finally found a Canon 500D close up lens to screw onto the front of the 75-300 and bring the minimum focus distance even closer. Should make for significantly better close-up performance.

Accessories in general, no matter the brand, seem to be really tough to find these days.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote