Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:10 PM   #1

Default fun with EPL-1 + Rokkor 50mm f1.4 lens

Tried taking some flower shots this evening using the EPL-1 + a manual focus Minolta "Rokkor" 50mm f1.4 lens. Used a Fotodiox MD to m43 adapter.

Got as far as this shot of a Tiger Lily before the 'skeeters' found me out.

Shot in Auto mode, with the lens stopped down to f8. Camera did the rest setting the iso to 1000 and the shutter speed to 1/60 sec. Hand held.

I post processed the image in CS5 - Adobe Camera RAW using the clarity slider to soften the image- mitigating noise. set the Sharpening Slider to 70, detail slider set to 50. Used the vignetting tool to darken the image a smidgen.

Once that was done imported into CS5, created a duplicated layer then chose multiply, backed off on the multiply slider to 57% which gave the image (IMO) more depth and showed off the petals.

The end result:

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:47 PM   #2

That bloom has a 3D look to it. Those stems almost look like they're coming out of the monitor.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2011, 8:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
That bloom has a 3D look to it. Those stems almost look like they're coming out of the monitor.
Hi Greg,

I think the reason for that is how thin the DOF is with that Rokkor + the out of focus background (IMO), tends to accentuate the feeling of a 3 dimensional image.

I've been playing with creating added 'depth' by adding a duplicate layer then using the multiply feature. Have to be careful with that as @100% the image is way too dark and 'burned out'. But, sliding it back to between 50 to 57% and it becomes natural looking with a bit of pop.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:27 PM   #4

Well, I don't understand any of your processing steps, but the result is beautiful! Thanks for posting!
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 6:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post
Well, I don't understand any of your processing steps, but the result is beautiful! Thanks for posting!
I'm glad you liked it enough to comment. Thanks

Zig

Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:30 AM   #6

Default Utter perfection

I don't know any way a photo of a flower could be more perfect.... simply amazing. You are one person who I know I can always count on taking my breath away with your newly posted photos.
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2011, 8:03 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes James View Post
I don't know any way a photo of a flower could be more perfect.... simply amazing. You are one person who I know I can always count on taking my breath away with your newly posted photos.
Yikes Wes,

I'm not sure how to respond to that, other than to say thanks.

The point of my post was to show just how versatile the Pens are and what can be done with an 'old' film lens such as Minolta's Rokkor 50mm 1.4.

For a long time, whenever somebody posted a request for information on using a 'legacy' lens on an Olympus fourthirds digital body (not the micro), I cautioned the person asking the question that the digital lenses were the better choice as the camera was optimized to use the new lenses. that and the viewfinders on the fourthirds are tunnel like (except for the E-1, E-3, and E-5) making focusing an issue.

With the Pen series, by adding the electronic viewfinder attachement, focusing is greatly simplified. That, and the fact that most of the 'normal' film lenses are small in size making them easy to use with the Pen and balance quite nicely. Oh, and usually, you can get them for a very reasonable price.

Zig

Old Jul 12, 2011, 9:56 AM   #8

that does look incredible! fantastic shot.