Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 13, 2011, 8:44 PM   #1

Default Some more closeups with the 75-300

From around 6pm this evening, while the temps were still a balmy 102 degrees. When I got home I saw a note in my mail box the Canon 500D closeup lens is at the apatment office, which was, of course, closed by the time I got home. Can't wait to try it on this lens, but for now..

Focus was on the blooms in the lower left-hand corner. Had I seen the spider, I would have put it square on him, but I didn't..

There's a lot of detail going on in this next image. Left-click on the image so it will open up on my web site and enlarge it to 100%.

Here's a 100% crop...

A little past its' prime, but I like the background here and, again...this lens is really sharp ..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 13, 2011 at 9:02 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:03 PM   #2

I did as you suggested and looked at the images on smugmug. Amazing results Greg.

The detail and clarity are about as good as you could ask for. At least, as good as I could ask for.

I'm going to look forward to seeing some of your results using the Canon 500D

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 10:10 PM   #3

The smugmug photos are very impressive from this lens. You got me thinking
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:36 PM   #4

I just screwed the 500D in to the 75-300 for the first time to see how it works, and the magnification is insane. The "500" is the maximum working distance in millimeters (just over 1.6 feet), and is useable all across the zoom range.

The cable release also arrived today, so my micro closeup setup is looking very nice. Cannot wait to give it a go a little later.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:40 PM   #5

OMG how do you get the detail with the tele photo lens? are all the shots in that album just from the 75-300mm?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 2:46 PM   #6

Yes, the images in the Smugmug folder where those are were all captured with the 75-300.

The glass in the M. Zuiko 75-300 is pretty exotic..

http://olympusamerica.com/cpg_sectio...p?product=1523

...which has got to be one of the main reasons behind the lens costing what it does, and the optical quality shows through in the images. It's also the first micro lens I have handled that is made in Japan. Olympus does not make many of their products in Japan anymore, probably due to higher labor costs. Even Olympus' top-of-the-line E5 DSLR is now assembled in China.

The 75-300 is the only Olympus Micro Four-Thirds lens that is termed "High Grade", which puts it, optically, right up there with Olympus E-Series (DSLR) lenses like the 12-60 and 50-200 SWD. After using it, I believe it.