Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 14, 2011, 8:42 PM   #1

Default PENs are out for me right now........

Yesterday I went to Arlington Camera and tried on the PEN E-PL2 with a VF-2. I had decided that since I have 0$ presently invested in m4/3 that I would put the budget of a P3+VF-2, 4/3 to m4/3 converter and a couple other trinkets into a like package of PL2 including a 40-150 lens and a good tripod which I am beginning to need.

After a few looks, snaps, spinning the backside 'pen-wheel' and in general just fiddling with it I handed it back and went to the bags for a browse.

I did not find a bag other than the DOMKE original that I liked, didn't buy it either........ I still had the PL2 on my mind. Why did I ever think I would like it, maybe because I am left handed, some of us think funny. I knew it is tiny but all the great reviews of the new PENs just keeps me interested.

Anyway, the E-PL 1,2,3 just aren't what I am gonna do, shame too because I actually want one until I put one in my hand, then it gets lost, just too tiny, there is no comfort whatever for me. I will check out the P3, it is a smidgen bigger and with the grips and extra 'wheel' on the backside, well it might work. I really do want a PEN for the 'idea and' technology of it.

DANG IT ALL, Bonnie was ok with it all too, but that was yesterday.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:21 PM   #2

Hi Bob,

I understand how you feel, the Pens' small size doesn't fall into the hand easily for me either. However, I am left handed. So, what did I do, I bought a used one from a gal who posted it on Craigslist. No chance to take it back. Not a smart move. BUT, I have become accustomed to it's size, over time, AND using the 12-60mmSWD with it, is for me-a guy with big hands- a joy.

Using the 12-60mm, I can cradle the lens which is a lot more comfortable for me to do than trying to hold the grip.

The fun part for me is seeing the output of that little camera. It really is a nice little performer.

Not for everyone though..........

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:19 PM   #3

The two wheel-design sounds good.....but on the E-P1, 2 and 3 they're on the same side of the back panel, so you can really only use one at a time vs. a DSLR that has one on the back and one up front, meaning you can be manipulating both at the same time with one hand, changing f-stops or shutter speeds and/or exposure compensation.

The E-PL2's (or the other Pens that have it) single wheel around the four-way command dial allows the same thing with one wheel. In aperture priority mode as one example, you use the wheel to change your aperture and in an instant, you click the top four-way button to enable exposure compensation. Click it again and you're back to changing apertures. The switching is fluid and it didn't take long to get the "feel" of the wheel.

Pens are small. No getting around that. When I put the FL50R flash on I'm not sure if I am mounting the flash on the camera or if it's the other way around. It's uncanny how well the two work together though. In non-TTL auto mode, the Pen+FL50R is more accurate than the E5 and FL50R, especially at closer distance and wider apertures. This image was shot up close with the 20/1.7 wide open and the FL50R. I used non-TTL auto because Sprocket blinks on the TTL preflash and as a result his eyes are always close so I change modes to ditch the pre-flash. I can't wait until the 45mm f1.8 is finally available.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 15, 2011 at 9:43 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:24 PM   #4

.....aw shucks, this ain't going to be easy.

One thing I haven't tried is a PL2 stocked with a 4/3 lens. I've thought about it Zig and you said exactly what I've suspected, that supporting the combination as lens primary with the camera following presents a doable hold balance.

I am going to check that with my 4/3 70-300 and 14-54. If that were to feel comfortable I might would reconsider the PL2 as an upgrade and keep the package to just the 14-42 lens, much like you use yours.

Greg, I am certain that using the WHEEL likely is a 'get used to it' thing, the same as the iPAD 'keyboard'. I would mount my ProMaster 5750 flash just to see it dwarf the camera but I suspect the FL-36 would match up nicely as it does on my C-7070.

Really I had not thought about the PL2 in this way but it has some merit as a camera upgrade consideration and also with the 14-42 then have the m43 basic system too.

With PL3 advances over the PL2 I expect there will be numerous 'second-hand' cameras showing up though should I make the splash I would do a new one.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:32 PM   #5

If you look at the longer zooms with the m4/3 like the 75-300 or the 45-200 they are large enough to cradle the lens when shooting. The only time the really support the camera with the body is when I use the kit lens or the 20mm 1.7, with my new favorite travel lens for the pen, the 14-150. I hold the lens when shooting.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:45 PM   #6

....... Yep, I may should have tried a larger lens and will do that, thanks.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com