Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 20, 2011, 8:00 PM   #1

Default Issue with Canon FD adapter and E-PL1 display

I did a quick search, but found nothing addressing the problem I have encountered, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I recently purchased an E-PL1 (awesome camera, BTW; I like it better than my E-510!) and several Rainbow Imaging lens adapters (Leica 39, C-mount, Canon FD). The first two adapters work great, but every time I mount the Canon FD adapter with any of several different Canon lenses I own, the live view remains dark -- I can still see the camera settings, but nothing else. Any ideas?

I am planning to return the FD adapter (purchased through Amazon) and will try a Fotodiox version, but I'm hoping someone here can help. I'm no newbie when it comes to photography (film or digital), but this issue has me stumped. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bubba

Last edited by bubbagump; Jul 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM. Reason: update title
bubbagump is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2011, 10:53 PM   #2

not sure if it is the adapter, what f-stop do you have your fd lenses on, are they working properly? Did you try setting the FD lenses to the widest aperture of each lens?
Old Jul 21, 2011, 5:09 AM   #3

I have a fotodiox adapter & it does the same thing on my e-pl1, to fix it I just remove the adapter & re-install it. if that does not work try twisting it a little to make sure the lens lock on the camera is engaging, this usually fixes it for me.
Charles
cshanaberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
not sure if it is the adapter, what f-stop do you have your fd lenses on, are they working properly? Did you try setting the FD lenses to the widest aperture of each lens?
When mounted on the adapter, the lens apertures work correctly (using the OPEN - LOCK ring). Even with my 50mm f/1.4 set wide open, I get no image.

It must be something with the adapter because I tried a little experiment: I started the camera with the M.Zuiko 14-42 attached -- live view works fine; remove the lens -- live view still works (blurry, of course, but I can see light values change); mount FD adapter (no lens) -- live view goes dark. I haven't studied the issue enough to determine what situation causes an E-PL1 to turn off the live view.

Thanks for the input! Much appreciated.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 8:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cshanaberger View Post
I have a fotodiox adapter & it does the same thing on my e-pl1, to fix it I just remove the adapter & re-install it. if that does not work try twisting it a little to make sure the lens lock on the camera is engaging, this usually fixes it for me.
Charles
I actually read about that fix elsewhere on the Interwebs (Flickr? I don't recall now). Anyway, I can easily hear the adapter click into place, so I don't think that's it, but I will try twisting it a little when I get home from work today. I did remove/reattach several times, but always had the same result. As I mentioned to another poster, I discovered last evening that simply attaching the adapter without a lens causes the e-PL1 screen to go dark, so it's definitely something with the adapter and how it connects to the camera.

Do you have any other lens adapters that exhibit this problem? I have ordered a Fotodiox Pentax K-mount adapter that I hope will not have any issues. I have a similar adapter for my e-510 that works great.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old Jul 21, 2011, 4:53 PM   #6

Well, I get to answer my own question. After looking more carefully at the situation I have determined the adapter is to blame. (Please excuse my lack of correct wording for this next part) The slot in the adapter that holds the camera's locking pin is just slightly too far over so the pin never drops completely into the slot and the display never activates. I can hear and feel a click when I put the adapter on, but the pin never goes quite far enough. Sadly, there is no play in the adapter as it is, so I can't wiggle it into position. Making that slot just a little wider (maybe a millimeter or less -- it isn't much) is probably all I need to do, but, since I have already ordered another adapter from another company, I'll hold off doing anything rash so maybe I can get money back for this faulty adapter. Or maybe I'll just be rash, find some sort of small tool, and work on it this weekend -- after all, it was only $25 or so.