Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:14 AM   #1

Default From Row 1 at the Baseball Game

I don't get these type seats too much at current price levels, and then I left last night in the bottom of the 6th inning because it was already 9:30pm and a work night, it was still 98 degrees and the Rangers were way ahead at 18-1. I figured that lead was too big for even Derek Holland to blow again this time...

Captured RAW with the E-PL2 and 75-300 M. Zuiko and processed in ACR/Photoshop CS5. Tonight I am going to use the camera to process a few of these into Large Superfine JPEG's as the previews on the back LCD were looking very nice as I reviewed during the game. It'll be interesting to compare them to these RAW conversions..

Turning the cameras' stabilization system off really allows you to get the timing down and do a better job of capturing action at the moment you want to, vs. being late on the draw..

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:32 AM   #2

It really makes a world of difference when you're sitting in the front rows, field level. Like you're one of the sports togs.

These images you've posted are extremely clean and sharp. Did you use RAW to PP?

Regardless, they are very impressive.

I'm going to see what you post in your smugmug gallery later today, when I get home.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2011, 10:50 AM   #3
Super Moderator

great shots, and greats seats!
Old Jul 26, 2011, 11:00 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
It really makes a world of difference when you're sitting in the front rows, field level. Like you're one of the sports togs.

These images you've posted are extremely clean and sharp. Did you use RAW to PP?

Regardless, they are very impressive.

I'm going to see what you post in your smugmug gallery later today, when I get home.

Zig
Thanks, Zig. Yes, RAW captures and I was not shy in applying the noise filter in ACR in the higher ISO images. There's one or two I uploaded in the ISO 4000-6400 range but did not post here.

I'm perfectly satisfied up to IS0 3200, and 4000 can look very good too. ISO 5000 starts falling off pretty fast and 6400 is a stretch once you start viewing at larger sizes on Smugmug beyond around X2Large, but I would not doubt a 5x7 or maybe even 8x10 print would look perfectly fine.

ISO 4000 file captured at 300mm and a wide open f6.7. Above the X2Large size screen view (the image below is one smaller at XLarge) the noise reduction going on is very obvious, but this would probably make a nice letter-sized print.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jul 26, 2011 at 11:28 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2011, 8:03 AM   #5

Greg, I'm very new here, first post in fact. Your photos make me very glad I bought a E-PL2 which I received yesterday. Haven't had much time to play with it yet but your photos are impressive. Well done. James
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I don't get these type seats too much at current price levels, and then I left last night in the bottom of the 6th inning because it was already 9:30pm and a work night, it was still 98 degrees and the Rangers were way ahead at 18-1. I figured that lead was too big for even Derek Holland to blow again this time...

Captured RAW with the E-PL2 and 75-300 M. Zuiko and processed in ACR/Photoshop CS5. Tonight I am going to use the camera to process a few of these into Large Superfine JPEG's as the previews on the back LCD were looking very nice as I reviewed during the game. It'll be interesting to compare them to these RAW conversions..

Turning the cameras' stabilization system off really allows you to get the timing down and do a better job of capturing action at the moment you want to, vs. being late on the draw..

James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote