Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 14, 2011, 11:00 AM   #1

Default Oh my, this 12mm f2 M. Zuiko...

I could resist no longer. I called Arlington Camera yesterday and they had one 12mm f2 M. Zuiko in stock. About an hour later I was walking out of the store with it on my E-PL2. Also put my name on the "list" to get their first 45mm f1.8 when it arrives.

It's like they took a manual focus lens with the 12mm f2, shrunk it down for the micro system and added an AF mechanism. When you "shift" the focus ring into the snap mode, the "feel" is exactly the same as the mechanically-geared focus rings on the SWD Zuikos (12-60 and 50-200) from the DSLR system, but this lens does it one better. At both infinity and closest focus distance, the ring stops just like a manual focus-only lens from 20 years ago so there's no doubt when you get there. This lens is a honey to handle and shoot with.

Loading RAW files into Adobe Camera RAW, the converter automatically applies distortion correction coded in the lens, but the correction does not completely remove all distortion and leaves just enough I felt compelled to make a final tweek in ACR by adding +4 distortion correction in the lens panel of ACR. That was all it took to straighten the lines virtually completely, at least, as far as my eyes can tell. Love the angle of view the lens gives, too. In shooting these, I also saw no fringing to remove. Quite the opposite of the 14mm f2.5 Panasonic where you get purple fringing all over the place in highlights, and the sharpness is outstanding.

At larger apertures you can get up pretty close and have some shallow depth of field.

In my excitement to get over to Arlington Camera I forgot to pack my tripod and had to "resort" to handholding the 75-300 at the Arboretum, but it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it might be.

Just past it's prime, but I still liked this image..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 14, 2011 at 11:19 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2011, 5:10 PM   #2

Wow! Beautiful Greg...great exposures!
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2011, 5:21 PM   #3

Very nice and sharp, looks like a wonderful lens, with a very useful FL.
Old Aug 14, 2011, 8:02 PM   #4

Hi Greg,

Another set of outstanding images. This time with the 12mm f2 micro lens.

Very impressive.

Seeing these images, I can't help but think that Olympus really does have a pretty sound game plan. By continuing to develop and refine the Pen bodies and then releasing lenses that provide outstanding image quality such as this, they are really rounding out their product line while making it extremely difficult for the competition.

If ones needs don't require shooting fast action or sports, the Pen micro four thirds system is a compelling choice- all packaged in a small system.

Although I'm slowly migrating to Nikon's FX system for a majority of my photographic needs, I'll not part with the EPL-1. unless, it's to upgrade to an EPL-3. And, I'm going to keep the 12-60SWD. Even though it's huge on the EPL-1, the quality it provides won't let me part with it.

Thanks for sharing.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoturtle View Post
Very nice and sharp, looks like a wonderful lens, with a very useful FL.
Yes, it is very useful.

The front element is a highly rounded affair and looks to be the issue in images at the car museum where the lights show a little ghosting type flare, and the more off-center the light is, the more apt it seemed to happen. Outdoors in severe side-lighting the hood or a strategically placed hand to block the sun is probably a good idea.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 12:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi Greg,

Another set of outstanding images. This time with the 12mm f2 micro lens.

Very impressive.

Seeing these images, I can't help but think that Olympus really does have a pretty sound game plan. By continuing to develop and refine the Pen bodies and then releasing lenses that provide outstanding image quality such as this, they are really rounding out their product line while making it extremely difficult for the competition.

If ones needs don't require shooting fast action or sports, the Pen micro four thirds system is a compelling choice- all packaged in a small system.

Although I'm slowly migrating to Nikon's FX system for a majority of my photographic needs, I'll not part with the EPL-1. unless, it's to upgrade to an EPL-3. And, I'm going to keep the 12-60SWD. Even though it's huge on the EPL-1, the quality it provides won't let me part with it.

Thanks for sharing.

Zig
Thanks, Zig.

The Nikon FX system is a great fit for you with the large dynamic range landscapes you do and the AF system is THE answer for your birding needs. I'kll be checking in over in that forum on you.

The past few days have been a little traumatic in terms of some decisions I have made, equipment-wise, but I think once I have made the full switch and have all the lenses I have eyed for my Pen system (12mm f2, 25mm f1.4, 45mm f1.8 and the 75-300) as well as two bodies (E-P3 and E-PL2) I'll be in good shape.