Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:10 AM   #11

• Slow AF in dim light
  • No built-in flash
  • Cost
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:12 AM   #12

Hi Zig: Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you will not regret it.

If you subscribe to Popular Photography print magazine, look on page 36 of the current Sept 2011 issue. It is the current advertising campaign for "Really Right Stuff" tripods. The camera on the tripod is a beautiful black Pen with a heritage OM Zuiko 50mm f1.4 lens. What a sharp looking combination.

P.S. Don't pay any attention to the critics who only talk, but never produce. I've seen comments from time to time, but I don't remember seeing anything in the way of photos. Makes one wonder if the poster is really a photographer. Wonder what "perfect" camera they shoot with, and do they share the results in public?

It is kinda like people who put down my sports cars: can't haul people or cargo, sits too low on the ground, too loud exhausts, poor gas mileage,etc. Why would anyone buy one? Of course when they get a chance to drive one, they don't want to get out of the car! The old saying about walking a mile in the other guys shoes come to mind. If you haven't used a product yourself, your opinion comes from incomplete knowledge. Not wise.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 12:29 PM   #13

I have tried the camera as it happens and it was pants indoors.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
Hi Zig: Congrats on your purchase, I'm sure you will not regret it.

If you subscribe to Popular Photography print magazine, look on page 36 of the current Sept 2011 issue. It is the current advertising campaign for "Really Right Stuff" tripods. The camera on the tripod is a beautiful black Pen with a heritage OM Zuiko 50mm f1.4 lens. What a sharp looking combination.
Hi Steven,

Thanks for letting me know about the Pen photo in Pop Photography. i'll see if I can't dig it up. I think one of the real benefits of the Pen is the ability to use legacy lenses such as the OM 50mm 1.4. While, I don't own one, I do have the Minolta 50mm f1.4 Rokkor lens. It really is an excellent lens and I love it for portrait work.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 21, 2011, 7:33 PM   #15

The tripod w/PEN ad has been running for quite a few months in the magazine.

Because I am wanting a tripod I checked out the RRS selection, thinking with a brand name Really Right Stuff; hey, maybe........ I'm still looking, the $$$$ for a carbon RRS just isn't on Bonnie's 'OK' list.

But the vertical PEN does look good on the RRS $$$$ tripod & ball-head, I still look at it every month.

So I am opening another thread to help Bonnie decide on a decent carbon tripod, look for it in the off topic thread, PLEASE.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:29 PM   #16

Default Donkey?

Well ... I like your donkey

Any kind of comments about the E-PL2 ?

Gilles

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2011, 9:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
Well ... I like your donkey

Any kind of comments about the E-PL2 ?

Gilles
Hi Gilles,

I don't have the E-PL2 so can't give you first hand information on that model.

I can tell you that, to me, the biggest differences between the E-P2 and the E-PL2 is that the E-PL2 comes with a built-in flash as well as the newer MCS 14-42mm lens.

Having said that, I do prefer the build quality and the lines of the Pen E-P2. It
just has a more classic body design.

Otherwise, you should expect to get the same output from either camera.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:02 AM   #18

The chap that commented on your new EP-2 got what he wanted.....to get a rise out of you. Anyway, nice job in your reply.
Old Nov 24, 2011, 10:42 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
The chap that commented on your new EP-2 got what he wanted.....to get a rise out of you. Anyway, nice job in your reply.
Hi James,

The response was meant primarily for those forum members and visitors to this site that may have been or maybe interested in gaining insight into the performance of mirrorless cameras. In this car, specifically, the E-P2.
I really couldn't let them leave with the impression that the E-P2 was a lousy performer.

As we develop a better understanding of just what is important to us as photographers, our needs, naturally, change and we begin to look for equipment better suited to our own style of shooting. Be it speed, portability, what have you.

The E-P2 is a fine camera within it's design criteria: small size, good build quality, interchangeable lens capability, and equally important good image quality- straight out of the camera.

It doesn't do everything perfectly....but I haven't found a camera that does.

anyways....enough of my ramblings.

Have a great Thanksgiving

Zig

Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:43 AM   #20

The E-P2 is tempting and your excellent photographs make it very tempting. My E-PL1 -- about which I had conflicting feelings -- was stolen in a burglary three months ago, and the E-P2 seems more the style that I might like. Unfortunately, they took the VF-2 viewfinder as well, so I also would invest in that.
MacBook is offline   Reply With Quote