Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:41 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
.....ZIG! surely you jest, BOSTON is in town, Gonzales is here with Jacoby 'E', so are those others that we are having to deal with, AND it ain't been fun.

Maybe we can sweep the LAA and get back those 5 games lost this week with Boston doing the great damage.... Holy Crap, them bean bakers gotta go home, it is miserable and to think we will play them in the playoffs.

I JUST HAD TO RANT THIS ONE (sorry Greg)...... I am ok now (sigh), tonight Rangers 3 .. Boston 2 in a walk off by Cruz.

One series does not a season make. And, the Rangers are in 1st place in their division. The Rangers always play the Sox tough and this year isn't any exception. I remember the beginning of the season when the Rangers cleaned the Sox' clocks.

but, I do love to see Gonzalez and Ellsbury play.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:06 PM   #12

You guys.....

I have a ticket for Saturday night's game with the Angels. Row 20 above the Rangers' dugout. As long as someone 6'5" does not sit in front of me I should have some good opportunities to test out the 75-300 on the E-P3.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
You guys.....

I have a ticket for Saturday night's game with the Angels. Row 20 above the Rangers' dugout. As long as someone 6'5" does not sit in front of me I should have some good opportunities to test out the 75-300 on the E-P3.
Well Greg,
I'm envious, to say the least. I have not been to a Sox game this year and my sources have dried up. So, it doesn't look good for the rest of the year.

I look forward to your posting images from the game.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 3:31 PM   #14

Yes, that's gotta be about as hard a ticket to find as there is.

My brother and his wife moved up to Wisconsin years ago with job transfers. He takes the train to Chicago from Kenosha every day. A few years ago he somehow managed a pair of tickets to a Packers game in Green Bay. I have no idea how he did it, and Bears tickets in Chicago are impossible.
Old Aug 25, 2011, 6:00 PM   #15

Greg your seats are good, looking forward to the photos.

As for the Bosox we are up 4-2 on the year but 23 runs the past two games and one of them was D.Ortiz SLIDING (the first time this season Big Papi has slud to any base) safe at home when the Sox already had 10..... 'we know when our butts are being kicked'.

Why baseball is so fun, 'that's the way baseball go' according to Ron Washington, I agree.

Zig,

I want to add too that we are crossing all our fingers that Irene behaves as she blows through, praying and hoping for everyones safety.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Aug 25, 2011 at 6:33 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2011, 8:31 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Greg your seats are good, looking forward to the photos.

As for the Bosox we are up 4-2 on the year but 23 runs the past two games and one of them was D.Ortiz SLIDING (the first time this season Big Papi has slud to any base) safe at home when the Sox already had 10..... 'we know when our butts are being kicked'.

Why baseball is so fun, 'that's the way baseball go' according to Ron Washington, I agree.

Zig,

I want to add too that we are crossing all our fingers that Irene behaves as she blows through, praying and hoping for everyones safety.
That Ortiz play at the plate was quite funny. I'm not so sure that move could be construed as a slide, but he did "assume the position". Kind-of like watching Nick Swisher try to run over Benji Molina at home plate.

As far as the last two nights, things can always be worse, as I read about the Yankees' three grand slams today.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 10:25 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Well Greg,
I'm envious, to say the least. I have not been to a Sox game this year and my sources have dried up. So, it doesn't look good for the rest of the year.

I look forward to your posting images from the game.

Zig
I'm kinda holding off posting much from the E-P3 until Adobe Camera RAW is updated for processing the ORF files, but I have uploaded a few images that I processed in the Olympus Viewer software. I'm leaving the noise filter turned off on the JPEG's I am producing in Viewer because I dislike the noise filtering Olympus uses.

Even with the noise filter off, it's obvious there's plenty of color noise filtering going on because there's little to no color noise there. The luminence noise looks fine to me and will clean up very well in ACR. I could have just opened these JPEG's up in ACR and done it, but I'm gonna wait to get at it in the RAW files, and I kinda liked these as-is anyway.

With the 12mm f2..

This is why I never sit in left field or down the third base line, but the lens/cameras' metering system handled the contrasty light very well.

Nice foot. Not mine.....obviously....

ISO 2000 with the noise filter turned off. I was using shutter speed priority and had the speed set to 1/1000 second to keep as much action frozen as possible, so ISO settings were very high when using the 75-300mm f4.8-6.7 as soon as the direct sun left the field and just kept going up from there as ambient light levels fell during the evening.

ISO 1000 with the NF turned off.

It's a golden age of sideline reporters everywhere these days. With the 75-300 at ISO 1600 with the NF off..

ISO 3200 with the NF off..

The E-P3/75-300 combination is more than snappy enough to jump into action if you are ready to on a moments' notice to capture a play in the field. ISO 2000 witht the noise filter off.

ISO 2500, NF off.

One of the few balls Ian Kinsler actually caught Saturday night that were either hit or thrown his way..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 30, 2011 at 10:31 AM.
Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:03 AM   #18

Hi Greg,

Based on your post that you were going to the game, I went on your smugmug site this morning and saw the gallery you posted. It immediately struck me that you didn't do anything for noise reduction. This post better explains why.

I do have to add, that even with no noise reduction done, the images looked good to my eyes.

Also, Because I use the 12-60mm SWD lens on my E-PL1 and now the E-P2, I really haven't considered getting the 12mm lens. I have to admit that after looking at some of your images using the 12mm- pretty nifty. i may have to reconsider.

Zig

Old Aug 30, 2011, 11:43 AM   #19

Thanks, Zig. One thing I have noticed in using the E-P3. The new-style back LCD is very good for reviewing files, but you just have to kinda ignore the colors. The field had a metalic-like green tint to it as I reviewed images during the evening. Way over the top and it didn't really help much switching to the VF-2 to review, but the image colors, once the files were downloaded, looked very accurate on the computer screen.

the 12mm f2 is a sweet little lens that's a lot of fun to use. I should have lowered the ISO on the night shot and just used a slower shutter speed and opened the lens from f4 to f2.8. Could have easily gotten away with ISO 200-320 instead of 1000.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Aug 30, 2011 at 11:57 AM.