Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Aug 28, 2011, 1:43 PM   #1

Default RAW vs. JPEG for my EPL-1

In the past I have had digital cameras that produced such awful JPEGs that I had to shoot RAW. Correcting every image and converting to JPEG was just plain necessary, but honestly it was a pain in the ass. My EPL-1 produces great colors and contrast with JPEGs, and I use ISO bracketing to preserve options when the exposure is challenging. I pretty much just crop and am done, provided I have used the correct white balance on the shot.

So here is my question. Is there a good reason to shoot RAW if I am getting consistently good photos from JPEGs?
D B Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2011, 3:21 PM   #2

Hi DB: you will get a variety of answers to your question. One of the things that has always been a strong point with Olympus is the quality of ooc JPEGs. I rarely shoot RAW. I don't do very much PP, and I'm pleased with the JPEGs that I shoot. I keep all my Olys set to the largest JPEGS setting. You will get a completely different answer from other regulars here. I guess it mainly depends on the type of subject matter, and what you do with your photos.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2011, 4:47 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by D B Cooper View Post
In the past I have had digital cameras that produced such awful JPEGs that I had to shoot RAW. Correcting every image and converting to JPEG was just plain necessary, but honestly it was a pain in the ass. My EPL-1 produces great colors and contrast with JPEGs, and I use ISO bracketing to preserve options when the exposure is challenging. I pretty much just crop and am done, provided I have used the correct white balance on the shot.

So here is my question. Is there a good reason to shoot RAW if I am getting consistently good photos from JPEGs?
Hi DB,

One of the real benefits of the Olympus Pen series of cameras is, as you pointed out, to just set the mode dial to auto and simply enjoy taking photos.
The combination of the sensor and processing engine is THAT good that you're going to be pleased with the results.

However, there are times when the lighting is really challenging, i.e. wide dynamic range situations where you have very bright sun and yet you have deep shadows. This is a common situation when your on vacation, taking architectural photos, images inside churches, museums, etc.

In those situations, I shoot raw because I want to get every ounce of detail that I can- especially if I might of missed the proper exposure or the metering was off.

So, to put it simply, if I'm shooting for fun and the results don't have to be perfect- each and every time, I go auto and jpeg. Whereas, if I'm in a situation where I may never have the opportunity to go back and take
those pictures again, I go RAW.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2011, 6:35 PM   #4

Default Thanks

I almost always use aperture priority, but I like the auto ISO setting on the EPL-1. I like the DOF effects enough that I don't like to go full auto. The ISO bracketing is a great tool to protect against exposure errors. My old camera had such crappy images when the ISO went over 200 that I couldn't use these tools in the past.

Unless I hear more on this subject, I guess I will stick to JPEG.

Thanks Zig and Steven R for the input.
D B Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote