Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 5, 2011, 8:44 PM   #1

Default .......splurging for the therapy of it!

The P3 ....my long-hot-summer; get-on-with-it; Bonnie-is-ok-with-it; I-love-it; help-me-recover from the heat Labor Day splurge.

Now to learn to use it but already I am becoming a fan of the 4/3 40-150 II lens. I will likely not be adding m4/3 lenses beyond the 14-42 II R but Arlington Camera did have a new boxed combo of the 40-150 II with the MMF-2 converter. I've tried the 14-54 and it plays very well too. This morning I went out for a bit and left the E-3 at home, did not miss lugging it around at all but did miss the comfortable feeling of using it........ it'll take a while to get used to carrying the P3, bet I get it done though.

.....for me the 70-300 fits, feels & plays really well. http://tinyurl.com/3tayeqw

My first 'kept' image (4/3 40-150 II), now to make some cam adjustments and take advantage of our weather change which happened last night, hi temp today only 85F, it feels like fall is very near.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Sep 5, 2011 at 11:19 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 5, 2011, 9:35 PM   #2

Ah, did they get a black set in for you? I assume so.

Nice shots posted above. The two DSLR kit lenses work very well with the Pens. The micro version of the 40-150 is pretty much the exact same height as the combined 40-150+MMF-2 combination, but slimmer.

Everything about the E-P3 is nice and fast, isn't it! Operation of the eyelevel VF-2 is even better with the faster processing. Nice to know the performance of the EVF can be improved with camera processor upgrades vs. having to introduce a new model.

I am (impatiently) waiting for Arlington Camera to get in that 45mm f1.8. Also impatiently waiting for Adobe to update Camera RAW with the final version of the E-P3 profile so I can start working all these RAW files. I've been processing some of them in-camera to get Large Superfine JPEG's, have been leaving the noise filter turned off and like the results.

Some from Fort Richardson State Park in Jacksboro, Texas as I drove up to Wichita Falls to see mom this weekend..

With the Panny 20mm f1.7..

The rest with the 12mm f2..

The grass is not only dead up that way, as it usually is this time of year anyway, but it is so dry, it crunches as you walk over it. Wouldn't take much for it to all go up in flames. A grove of mesquite trees that caught my eye..

Ruins of the guard house. The camera does a pretty darn good job in the normal gradation mode in retaining shadow details, and the 12mm f2 is very flare resistent in contra-light shots. This is me, attempting to talk myself out of buying the hood once it's available.

The red ant mound trail..

From a soldiers barrack house looking back towards the hospital..

From the back porch of the post hospital..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Sep 6, 2011 at 12:28 AM.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 6:49 AM   #3

Congrats Bob, on getting your new toy. All of the discussions I've read to date on the various forums (not to mention Greg's beautiful photos) all give the E-P3 high marks.

For me, the E-P2 was a no brainer based on price. But from a performance perspective, I think you've got the best Pen camera currently available.

I'm in the same mindset as you, as far as lenses go. I'm not in the market to add any m43 lenses at the moment. My 12-60mmSWD is 'glued' to the E-P2.
And, for added focal length, I've always got the 40-150mm + 70-300mm lenses. Due to my large hands, I actually like the size, heft and feel of having the larger lenses on the E-P2 as I can more comfortably carry the lens/body and cradle the lens when shooting.

zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 8:18 AM   #4

Have fun with your new toy Bob. Looking forward to some more postings. Glad your heat is easing, and we will be hoping the wildfires get contained quickly.

P.S. to Greg: ".....and the 12mm f2 is very flare resistant in contra-light shots. This is me, attempting to talk myself out of buying the hood once it's available."
A few days ago I put one of my lens on a bench for just a few seconds to free up my hands. Yep, as you would guess, it fell off and hit front first. The lens hood was on, and no damage to the lens itself. But without the hood, the lens front would have been the initial impact point.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 1:53 PM   #5

Yes, there definitely are reasons to be using the hood. By all accounts the hood for the 12mm f2 is 'special". So special, they are going to charge around $100 for it. That's 'Leica" money, and third-party alternatives in the 46mm filter size for an equivalent 24mm wide angle are few and far between.
Old Sep 6, 2011, 2:09 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yes, there definitely are reasons to be using the hood. By all accounts the hood for the 12mm f2 is 'special". So special, they are going to charge around $100 for it. That's 'Leica" money, and third-party alternatives in the 46mm filter size for an equivalent 24mm wide angle are few and far between.
?? $100 for a lens hood?? Yikes! That may be a good reason to hold off for a while, and wait until the 3rd parties get their act together and offer an alternative.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2011, 7:50 PM   #7

Yep, 100 bucks! And it does not reverse on the lens for storage and requires a set screw to lock it on the lens, no bayonet. More Leica inspiration. I remember having a hood or two for a screw-mount Leica system I once had a lot of fun playing with that mounted similarly.