Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 26, 2011, 10:03 PM   #1

Default The Tiny 45mm f1.8 M. Zuiko Has Arrived

The FedEX man rang today and the "small" box with the 45mm f1.8 M. Zuiko from the Olympus Store was enclosed.

"Small" is the key word, here. Incredibly small.

The 45 compared to the 50mm f2 Zuiko fitted with the four-thirds to micro adapter.

The Panasonic 20mm f1.7 and Olympus 12mm f2 and 45mm f1.8. Quite a tiny, ultra-light weight trio. This setup, along with the 75-300 M. Zuiko for the longer stuff, is going to be fun.

Compared to the 14-42II, the 45mm f1.8 is shorter than the collapsed kit lens!

Only shot a sample or two with the E-P3 and HATE it that Adobe still has not released the final ACR version 6.5 with the E-P3 profile...

It can focus respectably close for a non-macro lens.

The focus in this next image was on the front four pink blooms.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 27, 2011, 12:25 AM   #2

WOW, that is a small sized lens lineup. All of them including the 75-300 and 14-42 won't add up to a total weight of 'nothin'.

I can only imagine bagging up that system. The sample 45 shots are excellent.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2011, 4:07 AM   #3

Fantastic Greg...it'll be very interesting to see you get out with this lens...
LTZ470 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 12:56 AM   #4

Here's a shot I took this evening of Katherine, from probably 4 feet or so, maybe 5, at f1.8 and with the FL50R and Demb bounce attachment. Captured RAW with the E-P3 and run through Adobe Camera RAW.

At f1.8 depth of field for a head shot is thin enough you need to get your focus on the spot where you want it. You can see the eye furthest away and the back of her head and ears are already blurring away fast, and where it's sharp, it's really sharp.

Framing wasn't the best in the world. Shouldn't have placed her right in the middle of the frame like this, and I know she'd want this softened a little, but what the hey! This is a test image to check the sharpness..

These are hyperlinks. If you want to see bigger versions, right up to the full-sized image, just click on it and you go to the original files at my website.

Slightly cropped, and with a little negative clarity added in Adobe Camera RAW is probably more how she would like it..

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Oct 1, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:00 AM   #5

Those are very nice Greg...looks as good as anything on the market at present...

Beautiful lady and beautiful capture...I would be interested in that shot be processed in camera with the Portrait Mode process under jpeg edit...
I didn't think much of in camera portrait until I did one of my wife in the EPL2 and she was really well pleased with the results...I took it in "A" Mode and processed after in camera...Oly really does take note of their jpeg and in camera processing seriously...
Old Oct 1, 2011, 4:57 PM   #6

I had already loaded and re-formatted the card, but I did run it through Viewer II with the portrait mode, using the flash white balance.

A few more shots from today at the Museum of Flight at Love Field.

Old Oct 1, 2011, 5:21 PM   #7

Wow...those are just great Greg...excellent lens and photog!
Old Oct 2, 2011, 12:19 PM   #8

As usual, excellent shots Greg. The flight museum shots once again prove your talent for composition, no matter what kind of equipment you are using.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:24 AM   #9

Hi Greg,

Been gone a week so haven't been able to see what's been going on. These images are very impressive and show the capabilities of the new lenses beautifully.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote