Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Sep 30, 2011, 1:32 PM   #1

Default Picked Up an E-PM1

I ducked out of my office in New York at lunch time yesterday to drop in at Camera Land, which is only a few blocks away. I returned with a brand-new Olympus E-PM1 in black. Because I already have the Panasonic G3 on the way, making this my second micro four-thirds body, external controls are not as important to me with this camera. I'll be using my Lumix 14mm and 20mm pancake primes on it most of the time and it will essentially replace my Panasonic LX3.

Just some quick points for those considering this camera or the E-PL3:

1) The E-PM1's menu-based controls are much easier to access and work than many might think. If you are worried about this, I wouldn't be. Within seconds of picking up the camera for the very first time, I had located the PASM controls in the menu and was able to change settings quickly.

2) The overall handling of this camera is also better than many might think. I personally like it the way it is without any aftermarket grip. But adding one would be very simple and inexpensive.

3) If you really prefer the E-PL3 but are worried about it being too big, again I wouldn't worry about it. The size of the E-PL3 and E-PM1 is virtually identical in every practical sense. Yes, the moveable rear LCD on the E-PL3 does make that camera just a bit thicker... but you can get that camera into any pocket you can get the E-PM1 into. Your lens will be the determining factor for size here.

For me, the $200 price difference between the E-PL3 and E-PM1 - and the fact that this won't be my only micro four-thirds body - made the E-PM1 a no-brainer for me. It's a bonus that image quality throughout Olympus's new 3-series range is the same.

It'll be interesting to have both Panasonic and Olympus bodies in the micro four-thirds system again - just as I used to have a G1 and E-PL1. Jpg differences between the two aren't as dramatic as they used to be and both brands have markedly improved auto-focus. I am now just about finished with my major overhaul of my photo equipment for, say, the next five years or so. Like most of us, I may add the odd lens here or there. But my camera-body lineup is about where I want it.

Last edited by Biro; Oct 1, 2011 at 3:23 PM.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 1, 2011, 2:35 PM   #2

I currently have the G1 and EPL1 and I'm thinking about buying the G3 body. I'm curious as to how you will compare the G1 vs. the G3 once it arrives.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 3:22 PM   #3

I'll be happy to share my impressions as soon as I can, Tullio. It may be a while, however. I ordered the G3 body-only from Panasonic Direct. The price was great (about $450) but you can wait sometimes for months. Panasonic makes sure all of its vendors get supplied first before shipping equipment itself. My G3 is still backordered even though I ordered in August. No worries, though. I have the E-PM1 for my lenses in the meantime.
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2011, 7:55 PM   #4

I was checking the EPP site and saw the same price as you (plus CA tax, of course) for the body only. Since I already have the 14-45mm, I don't need the 14-42mm. Instead, I want to save the money an buy the 14mm prime later.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote