Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 9, 2011, 7:52 AM   #1

Default Problem With E-PL-2 Firmware Update

Tried to connect with Olympus to install the latest firmware on my new PL-2 using the Olympus Digital Camera Updater. Problem is I keep getting a message saying no camera connected. Anyone else have this problem? Is there a solution? Thanks.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:20 AM   #2
Administrator

Hopefully, some of our Olympus users will chime in with tips.

But, I'd make sure to follow the instructions carefully, closing any other applications running first, making sure it's connected to a USB port on your PC, not via some other device or USB hub.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...ds_updater.asp

Sometimes malware scanners or firewalls can interfere with some USB related communications, too. So, you may want to try disabling them temporarily. Ditto for any software you've got running trying to update photo albums when a camera is detected (as you sometimes see with Picasa and similar programs), to make sure they're not interfering with the updater. Unplugging any other USB devices that are not needed (like printers and scanners) may be a good bet, too.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2011, 11:29 AM   #3

Thanks Jim,
The only thing I haven't tried is disabling the firewall and virus software. All other programs were closed. I'll try that as soon as I get a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
Hopefully, some of our Olympus users will chime in with tips.

But, I'd make sure to follow the instructions carefully, closing any other applications running first, making sure it's connected to a USB port on your PC, not via some other device or USB hub.

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_se...ds_updater.asp

Sometimes malware scanners or firewalls can interfere with some USB related communications, too. So, you may want to try disabling them temporarily. Ditto for any software you've got running trying to update photo albums when a camera is detected (as you sometimes see with Picasa and similar programs), to make sure they're not interfering with the updater. Unplugging any other USB devices that are not needed (like printers and scanners) may be a good bet, too.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 6:58 AM   #4

I tried disabling the firewall and AVG virus protection software to no avail.
I will call Oly this morning and see if they can help me. I do appreciate your input though.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 9:36 AM   #5

I talked to Olympus Tech Support and he stayed on the phone with me the entire time which I thought was very nice, and, he spoke with an english accent. It appears that what I did not do was press OK on the camera when the USB menu came up. The camera screen will go blank after you do this and that has to be done first before you click "next" on the camera updater software. Hope this helps someone else if they have the same problem.
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:06 PM   #6
Administrator

Great. I'm glad you solved the problem. Yep... you have to pay very close attention to details in the instructions when doing something like updating firmware, as the smallest oversight can cause issues, and sometimes very serious issues resulting in a "bricked" (non functional paperweight of a camera that you can't use) with some firmware update procedures.

Please let us know how it works for you going forward
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:14 PM   #7

The problem on my end is that they do not tell you to press the OK button. They just state that when you click "next", the information will be sent to the camera. Not so, at least with my model anyway.
Quote:
Great. I'm glad you solved the problem. Yep... you have to pay very close attention to details in the instructions when doing something like updating firmware, as the smallest oversight can cause issues, and sometimes very serious issues resulting in a "bricked" (non functional paperweight of a camera that you can't use) with some firmware update procedures.

Please let us know how it works for you going forward
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:24 PM   #8
Administrator

Perhaps they translated the instructions from Japanese and missed that part. :-)

Yea... updating firmware is more complex than it used to be with many cameras.

The way most of them worked until recently, you could copy a new firmware update file to the root directory of a memory card, insert it in a camera, and when you powered it up, it would see the new firmware update and prompt you through applying it.

But, lately, more new camera models require running a program to install new firmware that communicates with the camera during the installation of it. IMO, that's a bad way to go, since you need operating system specific programs to install the firmware, requiring complex communications between the Operating System and Camera, often with more user interaction required.

I prefer the old way of doing it, so that you can use any operating system you want to in order to copy the needed firmware update to a memory card, with no interaction between the Operating System and Camera needed. Then, power up the camera with a memory card containing the firmware inserted, and let the camera prompt you for anything needed to install it. But, apparently, camera manufacturers want to approach it in a different way anymore, requiring that you use a supported operating system communicating with the camera via USB to install updates. Grrrrr
Old Oct 10, 2011, 5:36 PM   #9

That's how my Canon 40D was. You downloaded the firmware update to a CF card and then put it in the camera and turn it on.
Quote:
Perhaps they translated the instructions from Japanese and missed that part. :-)

Yea... updating firmware is more complex than it used to be with many cameras.

The way most of them worked until recently, you could copy a new firmware update file to the root directory of a memory card, insert it in a camera, and when you powered it up, it would see the new firmware update and prompt you through applying it.

But, lately, more new camera models require running a program to install new firmware that communicates with the camera during the installation of it. IMO, that's a bad way to go, since you need operating system specific programs to install the firmware, requiring complex communications between the Operating System and Camera, often with more user interaction required.

I prefer the old way of doing it, so that you can use any operating system you want to in order to copy the needed firmware update to a memory card, with no interaction between the Operating System and Camera needed. Then, power up the camera with a memory card containing the firmware inserted, and let the camera prompt you for anything needed to install it. But, apparently, camera manufacturers want to approach it in a different way anymore, requiring that you use a supported operating system communicating with the camera via USB to install updates. Grrrrr
Old Oct 11, 2011, 4:24 PM   #10

I would imagine the same type things that could brick an Olympus camera would do the same thing using a CF card, and that would be having the battery die during the update or accidently pressing a camera control or turning the camera off before the update is completed.

As long as you have the right option selected (storage or PC) on the camera and are using either the Olympus updater program or the update option included with Viewer or Master software, firmware updates on Olympus cameras for me the past 6 years have always been pretty straight forward and do not require turning off or disabling any computer system controls.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote