Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 16, 2011, 12:56 PM   #1

Default E-PL2 Pop Up Flash

Wondering if I have a problem with the pop up flash on my PL2. I'm thinking like most cameras with built in flash, the flash pops up when more light is required. The pop up flash on my PL2 only extends when the button is pushed.
Thanks!
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 16, 2011, 11:59 PM   #2

There is no problem with your flash -- you have to manually hit the release button to raise the flash if you need the extra pop of light. But be aware that raising the flash does not activate the flash, you have to do that through the flash control.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 12:09 AM   #3

You are not experiencing any problems as far as I can see. Looking in the manual and playing with my E-PL2 I do not believe this camera will automatically raise the flash. It's strictly up to the user to determine if flash is needed and raise the flash manually.

I could not even get the camera to raise the flash playing with the most basic, entry-level iAuto mode and saw nothing in the manual indicating it should. Where flash is mentioned in the manual, it always states to first press the button to raise the flash.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:30 AM   #4

Thanks guys. I'm going to have to get accustomed to that. My old DSLR that the PL2 replaced popped up when needed.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:49 AM   #5

Yes, the DSLR's I have owned where the pop up flash did so automatically (Olympus E620, E520, E510) had, I believe, two things in common...

1. The pop up flash was also used for AF assist and would pop up for both flash needs and/or AF assist if the default settings were left in place. I always disabled the auto settings so the built-in units never popped up unless I told them to.

2. I believe (I have none of the above bodies anymore to verify this) the release button to open the flash always required battery power. If the camera was turned off, pressing the flash release button would not work. The camera had to be powered on in order to pop up the flash so the electronics were there for the camera to "tell" the flash to pop up when it was needed. With the E-PL2 and E-P3, the flash-up buttons seem to be mechanical only and can be operated whether the camera is on or off.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2011, 6:30 PM   #6

I thought the same thing. I had a Sony HSC-50 that had a flash that popped up on its own. I liked that feature.