Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 17, 2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Default Lumix 14mm with EPL1

I just got the Lumix 14mm (I did not expect it to be so darn small and light...awesome!). Anyway, the lens is dead silent and very fast on my G1 but the EPL1 kinda of struggles with it. AF is disappointingly slow and I hear all sorts of clicking sounds coming from the lens. Is anyone here using the 14mm on an Oly EP body? If so, how does the lens perform? I did not check for any Oly firmware updates related to this lens in particular but if there is one, will it affect the lens performance on the Pana body in case I install the update? Thanks.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2011, 1:44 PM   #2

I have used the 14/2.5 Panny on both an E-PL1 and E-P3. AF is much faster on the E-P3 and the aperture twitching sound is more quiet than when used on the E-PL1, but it's still not completey silent like the M. Zuikos such as the 14-42II, 12mm f2, 45/1.8, etc.

It is....tiny. Amazingly so. The 20/1.7 and 14/2.5 on a Pen is a great two lens combination when trying to get into a venue where anything that looks even semi-professional might be frowned upon by security.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 2:36 PM   #3

Thanks for confirming the clicking noise I hear from the lens on the EPL1, Greg. I managed to install the 1.1 lens firmware via the Oly updater with the lens mounted on the EPL1 (my G1 is not recognizing the lens f/w...perhaps because my G1 is still at F/W 1.2 and Pana is forcing the FW upgrade...I did not have this same issue w/ any other Lumix lens, though). The EPL1 AF appears to be slightly faster but not close to my G1, which is almost instantaneous. Very impressive indeed. Now I really want to upgrade to the G3 and sell the EPL1.

Tullio
Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:56 PM   #4

My 20mm f1.7 Panny makes the same twitching sound on the Pen, louder on the E-PL1, much improved on the E-P3, and I have seen users of the 25mm f1.4 Panny-Leica say the exact same thing.

The E-PL2's AF system is also an upgrade using Panasonic lenses compared to the E-PL1. The Olympus lenses with the MSC internal AF designation focus extremely fast on all Pens, even the E-PL1, but the Panny 14 and 20 primes on the E-PL1 are the worst performance I have experienced in this system of all micro-specific lenses.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 4:20 PM   #5

I can't disagree with you on this one, Greg. I have the Pana 14-45mm and 45-200mm and they both work fine on the EPL1. In fact, the EPL1 AF system is much much faster with the Lumix 14-45mm than with its own 14-42mm kit lens. However, the Lumix 14mm is really not a good match for it.

Tullio