Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 17, 2011, 3:32 PM   #1

Default Help On Super Control Panel For The E-PL2

I have no hair left. Printed out the extended manual and followed the instructions on page 87 and I do not get the screen pictured on page 87. I've only had the camera a few days and didn't do much with it and had some time today and thought I'd try to bring the super control panel up. The camera was in the P mode and tried it on iAuto as well.
Thank you.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:03 PM   #2

I’ve got the EPL-1, and figuring out how to do that was a royal PITA . There are two steps… first you have to enable something called the Custom Menu… then you enable the Super Control Panel (SCP) option. I think the EPL-2 is pretty similar in this regard to the EPL-1.

To turn on the Custom Menu, press the Menu button and scroll down to the Wrench icon, select the Menu Display option, then select On which enables the Custom Menu. You’ll see a Gear icon pop up above the Wrench.

Next, scroll up to the Gear icon and select Disp/PC (Option D). Scroll down and select Control Settings which brings up iAuto, PASM and Art/Scn. Select each one of these and turn on the SCP option.

Hope this helps and doesn’t lend to further confusion.

Laurie

Last edited by laurel99; Oct 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM.
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:21 PM   #3

Well I did that and those settings were indeed turned off. I turned them all on as you stated. Is the live control suppose to be on as well? Still can't bring up the super menu. Talk about frustrating. Thanks for your help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurel99 View Post
I’ve got the EPL-1, and figuring out how to do that was a royal PITA . There are two steps… first you have to enable something called the Custom Menu… then you enable the Super Control Panel (SCP) option. I think the EPL-2 is pretty similar in this regard to the EPL-1.

To turn on the Custom Menu, press the Menu button and scroll down to the Wrench icon, select the Menu Display option, then select On which enables the Custom Menu. You’ll see a Gear icon pop up above the Wrench.

Next, scroll up to the Gear icon and select Disp/PC (Option D). Scroll down and select Control Settings which brings up iAuto, PASM and Art/Scn. Select each one of these and turn on the SCP option.

Hope this helps and doesn’t lend to further confusion.

Laurie
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Well I did that and those settings were indeed turned off. I turned them all on as you stated. Is the live control suppose to be on as well? Still can't bring up the super menu. Talk about frustrating. Thanks for your help.
Live Control doesn't have to be enabled to view the Super Control Panel. If you have Live Control off, and the Super Control Panel on, press the Start/OK button and it will bring up the Super Control Panel.

If you have both Live Control and the Super Control Panel on, the Live Control screen will be the first to appear when you press Start/OK. To toggle to the SCP, press the INFO button.

Hope this helps. I've owned cameras from 5 different makers, and the menu system on the Oly has been a real challenge for me.

Laurie
laurel99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2011, 8:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Hi,

I have no idea why, in their infinite wisdom, the technicians at Olympus feel people who buy their cameras aren't competent to actually be able to to use the super control panel. So, they turn it off and bury the instructions deep into the menu system.

I have both the E-PL1 and the E-P2. and the steps involved in activating the super control panel are different.

I would follow the instructions earlier provided as well as turning on live control as well.

Once that's done turn off the camera, and then turn it on again.

Pressing the ok button in the center will bring up the super control panel.
Don't be surprised if you have to press the ok button more than once.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2011, 8:22 AM   #6

I guess the problem was that I didn't turn off the camera and power it back up after I turned on live control. Seems to be working good now. Thanks everyone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi,

I have no idea why, in their infinite wisdom, the technicians at Olympus feel people who buy their cameras aren't competent to actually be able to to use the super control panel. So, they turn it off and bury the instructions deep into the menu system.

I have both the E-PL1 and the E-P2. and the steps involved in activating the super control panel are different.

I would follow the instructions earlier provided as well as turning on live control as well.

Once that's done turn off the camera, and then turn it on again.

Pressing the ok button in the center will bring up the super control panel.
Don't be surprised if you have to press the ok button more than once.

Zig
Old Oct 18, 2011, 2:52 PM   #7

I might add that even their extended manual leaves much to be desired, but I found this to be true with a few brands of cameras. I'd say there are a few features on this camera that I doubt 95% of the owners would ever use but they are there if one ever needs it. I find the learning curve for this camera/menu to be much steeper than my Canon 40D DSLR that this camera replaced. I still haven't looked back wishing I had not sold my Canon gear as I'm pretty happy with the PL2 and image quality.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 4:29 PM   #8

Quote:
I might add that even their extended manual leaves much to be desired, but I found this to be true with a few brands of cameras. I'd say there are a few features on this camera that I doubt 95% of the owners would ever use but they are there if one ever needs it. I find the learning curve for this camera/menu to be much steeper than my Canon 40D DSLR that this camera replaced. I still haven't looked back wishing I had not sold my Canon gear as I'm pretty happy with the PL2 and image quality.
Hi James,

I've become rather comfortable with the Olympus menu system as it remains much the same since my first digicam back in 2004. But I "gotta tell ya" that even i was a bit perturbed when I got my 1st Pen camera. For some stupid reason, the menu writers decided to make the user interface just plain more
confusing.

Gad you've had the patience to see these minor quibbles through. Once you get the menu system and settings to your liking. it will indeed deliver the 'goods'

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 6:42 PM   #9

Thanks Zig. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by. With my remodeling project I don't have too much time to play with the camera or read the extended manual. One thing I did notice today is that I did not see a way of using the flash intentionally in the event you wanted some fill in flash in normal light.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Hi James,

I've become rather comfortable with the Olympus menu system as it remains much the same since my first digicam back in 2004. But I "gotta tell ya" that even i was a bit perturbed when I got my 1st Pen camera. For some stupid reason, the menu writers decided to make the user interface just plain more
confusing.

Gad you've had the patience to see these minor quibbles through. Once you get the menu system and settings to your liking. it will indeed deliver the 'goods'

Zig
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:15 PM   #10

Quote:
Thanks Zig. I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes by. With my remodeling project I don't have too much time to play with the camera or read the extended manual. One thing I did notice today is that I did not see a way of using the flash intentionally in the event you wanted some fill in flash in normal light.
As for using the flash, it's relatively painless on the E-PL1 :
you press the locking button to pop open the flash, then engage the super control panel. there you will see the flash panel, scroll to it so it is highlighted,
press the okay button, the flash options will appear on the LCD screen, choose the flash option you want, then you can either press the okay button or simply press the shutter release button halfway. the change will have been made.

It takes a lot more time to explain the steps as opposed to just doing it.
Zig
Zig