Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Oct 22, 2011, 2:09 PM   #1

Default AEL behavior on EPL1

I started using Spot metering on my G1 along wit the exposure lock button and have been very please with the results. It allows me to obtain the best exposure based on the subject and composition. So, this morning I tried the same technique with my EPL1 and noticed an erratic behavior. When I press the Movie Rec button (I assigned this button to AEL) to lock the exposure, the shutter speed drops (as much as half of the shutter speed determined by the camera as I half-press the shutter release button) and the image becomes a lot brighter. I tried different lenses but the result is always the same. I also tried P/A modes and Matrix/Center Weight metering modes. So, no matter what, locking the exposure will force the shutter speed down and the image will be much brighter. Is my camera defective or something is not quite right with the way the EPL1 behaves when exposure is locked?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 23, 2011, 1:18 PM   #2

Certainly does not sound at all like how my E-PL1 worked. I had the exact same button programmed for it like you do and I use it all the time now with the FN2 button on the top deck of my E-P3 and it behaves just like your G1 does.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2011, 8:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the feedback, Greg. Maybe my unit is malfunctioning.

Update:

I got the answer to my issue...there is a AEL metering setting in EXP/ISO which tells the camera which metering mode to use when locking the exposure. In my case, this was set to Center Weigh so even though I had the metering set to Spot, depressing the AEL lock button would cause the camera to re-evaluate the image based on Center Weigh and lock that exposure. I set the AEL Metering to Spot and now all is well.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Oct 26, 2011 at 9:50 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:02 AM   #4

I saw the answer over at DPR. I do remember setting that option but didn't even think about it when I saw your question.

There sheer number of ways you can customize these bodies is mind-numbing.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 10:53 AM   #5

Yes, sometimes having too many customization options can be a bad thing. I was really puzzled by the camera's behavior regarding the AEL. I actually changed the AEL Metering from Spot to Auto. That way, the camera will lock the exposure based on whatever metering mode I have set it to, so I don't need to keep changing it to match the metering mode.

Tullio
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:14 AM   #6

I've been finding quirks like that with my new PL2. Today I saw a table in the manual that said BGM with no explanation. After reading one of the reviews I realized that this meant background music when playing a slide show. Geez, how many people would know BGM stands for background music. The manual and extended manual leave a lot to be desired as far as explanations go on some features. Hopefully in the next week or two I'll have some time to get serious with the camera. Thank God for this site and the M43 forum.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:24 AM   #7

Indeed, James. IMO, most camera manuals these days are poorly written (perhaps because they are not written in countries where English is the native language) and either miss important information or the description of more unusual features is unclear and/or incomplete.

Tullio
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:34 AM   #8

Instruction manuals from Olympus have been lacking in understandability for a long time now, with little to no depth in terms of what functions do for anyone looking to the manual as a source of information, and the way they are written makes one wonder if English was the primary language of the author. I think I know the answer to that one....

I will often go to a site like DCResource and DPReview and read the review. They typically set all the menu items out in a way that tells you more than the manuals ever do, but sometimes even they are not accurate. I think DPReview often leaves certain sections from a previous model in-tact with a new model review and they sometimes miss changes.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:45 AM   #9

I'll have to go to DC Resource and have a read.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Instruction manuals from Olympus have been lacking in understandability for a long time now, with little to no depth in terms of what functions do for anyone looking to the manual as a source of information, and the way they are written makes one wonder if English was the primary language of the author. I think I know the answer to that one....

I will often go to a site like DCResource and DPReview and read the review. They typically set all the menu items out in a way that tells you more than the manuals ever do, but sometimes even they are not accurate. I think DPReview often leaves certain sections from a previous model in-tact with a new model review and they sometimes miss changes.
Old Oct 26, 2011, 11:59 AM   #10

I was on DC Resource reading the PL3 review since they do not have a PL2 review. I see an error there where they are comparing the PL2 to the PL3. They say the PL2 has no Face detection w/eye detect AF. Sure seems like I read somewhere in the manuals where the PL2 does have this feature. Just checked. On page 37, item 4, it says, "If the camera is able to detect the subject's eyes, it will focus on the closer of the two eyes and the focus point will be indicated by a green frame (pupil detection AF.)" Mmm, I think I'm going to be in for a pretty good ride with this camera.