Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 2, 2011, 9:40 AM   #1

Default Confused on M43 Lens Adaptors

If I were to buy the Oly 35mm macro lens, which adaptor would I buy? Oly has two, the MF-2 OM Adapter (OM to Micro Four Thirds Lens Adapter), and the MMF-2 (Four Thirds Lens Adapter to Micro Four Thirds Lens Adapter). I thought all DSLR lenses were four thirds lenses. My other thought was that the OM series lenses date back to film cameras. Thanks!
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:19 AM   #2

The MF-2 OM adapter is just for using manual focus OM system lenses. You do not want to be buying that adapter unless it's to use OM system lenses. OM lenses are not DSLR lenses. They were designed for use with the prior film-only Olympus OM System cameras, like the OM1, OM2, OM3 and OM4.

The MMF-2 is the four-thirds to micro adapter. That's the Olympus version of the adapter. Panasonic also makes the DMW-MA1 adapter, which does the same thing as the MMF-2, and is less expensive, but I see B&H for one is out of stock right now.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...dapter_to.html

The MMF-2 and Panasonic DMW MA-1 both allow the four-thirds lenses to operate with all functions on Pen cameras.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 2, 2011 at 10:25 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:27 AM   #3

Hi James,

There are a myriad of lens adapters out there on EBay and Amazon. For all intense and purposes, they break down into 2 basic categories:

Adapters for Panasonic, Olympus and Sigma lenses originally made for the
Four thirds digital slr cameras. As far as I can tell, only Panasonic and Olympus make adapters that have the necessary pins and controls to be able to allow the camera full control over the lens, including metering AF, etc.

I use the Panasonic model DMW-MA1 adapter. Reason being, as shorturtle pointed out, it is about 50 bucks cheaper than the Oly version-and you get no more functionality from the Oly version.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMW-...0243229&sr=8-1

Then there are a huge number of adapters made by Fotodiox, Rainbow Imaging and others that allow you to mount lenses originally made for 35mm film cameras. They are made to fit Nikon, Canon, Olympus OM series lenses as well as ever growing number of lenses.

The one thing to keep in mind is that AF will be disabled. You will have to manually adjust the aperture and focus.

For what it's worth, I use fotodiox adapters for a number of different lenses,
one of which is the Minolta Rokkor 50mm f1.4. It is a honey of a lens. Fast, sharp and the depth of field really provides some great results.

Hope this helps.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Thanks everyone. I do see as Greg pointed out that B&H is out of stock on the Panny. That will be the one I'll get since it is much cheaper and does no more than the Oly as Zig stated. Since I just bought the MCON-PO1 a few weeks back, I'm going to see if B&H will allow me to return it for store credit and get one of the used Oly 35mm macro lenses they have for 149.00.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 10:52 AM   #5

Amazon has it in stock...

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMW-...0331937&sr=8-1

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:20 PM   #6

Thanks Tulio, but B&H did take back my MCON-PO1 and gave me store credit, so I'll just wait until they have the Pannys back in stock.