Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:22 AM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Just received the email from B&H....the crazy expensive, dedicated hood for the 12mm f2 Zuiko is now in stock.......I should have it Friday...
Wow....that didn't take long. B&H sent me the note it was in stock yesterday so I bought it at once. Already have the notification it shipped. Now, today, it's out of stock. Guess I wasn't the only crazy person looking to spend the money.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&A=ShowProduct
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 10:57 AM   #22
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

I guess that price of the hood compliments the 800 dollar tag for the 12mm Zuiko. Mmm, maybe Leica had something to do with these products. Looking at the pics you took with it, I'd say it's a good value.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Wow....that didn't take long. B&H sent me the note it was in stock yesterday so I bought it at once. Already have the notification it shipped. Now, today, it's out of stock. Guess I wasn't the only crazy person looking to spend the money.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...&A=ShowProduct
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.

Last edited by James Emory; Nov 9, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:15 AM   #23
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

It is an excellent lens. With a lack of really high quality zooms in this system, especially in the "normal" range of something like the 12-60mm f2.8-4 Olympus offers in the four-thirds DSLR system, the 12mm f2 is one of a few options to get there with a combination of 2-3 primes.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 11:48 AM   #24
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

I still haven't found time to seriously play with my new E-PL2 and 14-42mm II lens but I've read that this lens is a pretty decent lens. I've looked at some pics on this site taken with this lens and I was impressed. I don't know if any post processing was done on those pics but likely so.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It is an excellent lens. With a lack of really high quality zooms in this system, especially in the "normal" range of something lie the 12-60mm f2.8-4 Olympus offers in the four-thirds DSLR system, the 12mm f2 is one of a few options to get there with a combination of 2-3 primes.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:29 PM   #25
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

It is quite good. My primary reasons for not carrying it more are:

The 14-42 range is somewhat limiting after being used to a lens like the 12-60 Zuiko. 14mm just is not quite wide enough.

With the faster primes, the shutter speeds can drop down to the 1/30-1/60 second range and there's still enough light at f1.8-f2 to keep the ISO down to 200 instead of having it jump up to ISO 800 or more due to the slower zoom. I use auto ISO with a 200-400 range and have the minimum shutter speed set down to 1/30 second, so the light has to get pretty darn dim before the ISO moves off 200. If I need a faster shutter speed for the subject I change my setup, but for 99% of the static subject-shooting I do, the camera rarely moves further down the ISO range than 250 using the fast primes.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 9, 2011 at 1:58 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 1:53 PM   #26
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

Yikes, I just priced out the 12-60mm Zuiko. Guess I'll be sticking with the 14-42 until my ship comes in. Right now, the dock isn't built yet and I don't see it being built for quite some time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
It is quite good. My primary reasons for not carrying it more are:

The 14-42 range is somewhat limiting after being used to a lens like the 12-60 Zuiko. 14mm just is not quite wide enough.

With the faster primes, the shutter speeds can drop down to the 1/30-1/60 second range and there's still enough light at f1.8-f2 to keep the ISO down to 200 instead of having it jump up to ISO 800 or more due to the slower zoom. I use auto ISO with a 200-400 range and have the minimum shutter speed set down to 1/30 second, so the light has to get pretty darn dim before the ISO moves off 200. If I need a faster shutter speed for the subject I change my setup, but for 99% of the static subject-shooting I do, the camera rarely moves further down the ISO trange than 250 using the fast primes.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:04 PM   #27
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Yikes, I just priced out the 12-60mm Zuiko. Guess I'll be sticking with the 14-42 until my ship comes in. Right now, the dock isn't built yet and I don't see it being built for quite some time.
Yes , it is quite expensive. Even more so than it used to be. I remember paying $795 for it when it first came out. It works well enough on micro bodies, but really is at its' best on an Olympus DSLR where the AF speed is at its' best.

While I was still using the DSLR's quite a bit I was fine with using the 12-60 on the Pen with the performance limitations, but once I decided to sell the DSLR's, I also sold the 12-60 and would not suggest anyone using micro bodies only buy it for just those cameras. The micro lenses are just a better match ergonomically and performance wise in every way except for the lens speed in the case of the current standard zooms.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 2:21 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
James Emory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Bay City, MI
Posts: 2,378
Default

For the type of shooting I do, I think the 14-42 should fit most of my needs. I don't do too much low light photography and if I do I'll use a flash. I do plan on getting the 40-150 Oly zoom in the near future and possibly the 150-300 later on. As far as flashes, have you had any experience with Nissan flashes? Seems like a good price/performance ratio.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yes , it is quite expensive. Even more so than it used to be. I remember paying $795 for it when it first came out. It works well enough on micro bodies, but really is at its' best on an Olympus DSLR where the AF speed is at its' best.

While I was still using the DSLR's quite a bit I was fine with using the 12-60 on the Pen with the performance limitations, but once I decided to sell the DSLR's, I also sold the 12-60 and would not suggest anyone using micro bodies only buy it for just those cameras. The micro lenses are just a better match ergonomically and performance wise in every way except for the lens speed in the case of the current standard zooms.
__________________
Olympus OMD-M5, HLG6 grip, Olympus 4/3rd 35mm macro lens, Panny/Leica 25mm, f1.4, Olympus 17mm, Canon Pro 9000 Mk II Printer, Canon MP990 Printer, Slik U212 Tripod, Manfrotto monopod, MMF3 converter.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 3:51 PM   #29
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Nissin flash units are good value and are often brought up over in the micro forum at DPReview.

So would the Vivitar DF 383..

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._Series_1.html

The advantage of the Vivitar unit is, the flash head both tilts and swivels. The Nissin units have a flash head that only tilts. Having a swivelling flash head is often a good thing, especially when shooting verticals. If the head does not swivel, you cannot bounce the flash if you use the flash mounted directly in the hot shoe.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2011, 12:19 PM   #30
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Dallas, Texas USA
Posts: 6,483
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Just received the email from B&H....the crazy expensive, dedicated hood for the 12mm f2 Zuiko is now in stock.......I should have it Friday...
The hood arrived this morning. Silver E-P3+12mm f2 + hood = one sexy-looking setup. .
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 3:48 PM.