Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 8, 2011, 10:42 AM   #1

Default Deal on new E-P1

An Ebay Store is selling these for a very good price. Body only.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Olympus-E-P1...68660.m2000036
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:16 PM   #2

IMO the EP1 is the worse of all m4/3 cameras released so far. It has a nice retro look to it, solid build and feel, and good controls. However, the LCD is low res, the camera has no BI flash, no EVF and it does not accept the VF2, only the silly tunnel. AF is awfully slow and high ISO performance is far worse than the EPL1. Personally, I'd use every penny toward a newer model (or a new lens), no matter how cheap the EP1 sells for.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 5:38 PM   #3

I would agree at this point with Tullio.

From a sheer image quality stand-point, the E-PL1 is as good as it gets and the newer MSC Zuikos AF very fast on it. Probably the best option from a performance vs. cost standpoint.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 9, 2011, 7:07 PM   #4

The EPL1 is a great starting point for sure, if one wants to get into m4/3. Costco $399 deal with two lenses is a good way to go. The 40-150mm comes pretty much for free. Amazon sells the EPL1 + kit lens for $390.

Tullio
Old Nov 10, 2011, 5:52 AM   #5

Didn't realize the EP1 was that bad. Good to know.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 8:47 AM   #6

It's not "bad" per se. The autofocus is the slowest of all the micro bodies. I believe they updated it a little with a firmware update, but relatively speaking, the AF is slow.

As Tullio noted, the original E-P1 is the only Pen that does not have the port to allow for using either the VF2 or VF3 electronic eyelevel finders, so that's a definite negative in my book, and there's no built-in flash, so no opportunity to use the wireless flash system via a dedicated external unit.

I do not think it was 6 months after the E-P1's debut before they introduced the E-P2 and VF-2 finder. It was almost like they just were not quite there yet, but they wanted to get something out so out came the E-P1. I remember seeing a lot of complaining when the E-P2 was introduced because it was such a short time frame after the introduction of the E-P1.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 10, 2011 at 8:54 AM.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:00 AM   #7

The VF-2 is something I may be interested in for my PL2. I'm accustomed to looking through a viewfinder with the Canon DSLR I had along with my old SLR film cameras. I feel it's easier to compose a picture with a viewfinder than looking at a LCD display. I wonder how the PL2 display will perform when shooting in bright daylight conditions. If it's like most P&S displays, it may be difficult to see. With the VF-2 I understand that you can toggle back and forth between the viewfinder and the display. I like that feature.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 9:39 AM   #8

Yes, the EVF's makes for much easier viewing outdoors under the sun, and if you wind up picking up a tele zoom like the 40-150, I have always been able to keep the camera steadier holding it up to my eye when shooting at a longer focal length. I could not imagine using my 75-300 at 300mm on a Pen and holding the camera out in front trying to frame and shoot with the back LCD.

The VF-2 is a very, very nice finder.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 12:01 PM   #9

Might be a good Christmas present for me.
Old Nov 10, 2011, 1:26 PM   #10

If you like to use old MF lenses, the EVF is a MUST. The low res LCD of those first m4/3 Oly cameras (EP1, EP2, EPL1), makes MF a real challenge. Even though the VF2 is a nice EVF, it makes the camera much bulkier. I rather have a camera with BI EVF like the Panasonic Gx and GHx models.

Tullio