Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:56 AM   #11

Wow!

Your ISO 3200 photos blow away my ISO 1600 photos. I'm guessing the differences involve shooting in post-processing in RAW, but I don't even know where to begin. What are my choices for RAW support?

I apologize for asking one question after another. I'm very new to all this, and I want to learn.
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:57 AM   #12

Good morning Greg,

Well, Olympus certainly has come a long way in the development of the 43 sensor and processing engine from the day when I first got my E-500. Results like these would have been impossible back then.

Granted, a camera equipped with a larger sensor and the capability to shoot using higher ISO settings would be the better choice if you were doing pro work. But, I'll take the results any day when you consider the convenience of size in the E-P3.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:56 AM   #13

Excellent results if you ask me. I think comparatively speaking, the m4/3 sensors have improve a lot more and a lot quicker than the larger sensors used on non-4/3 or m4/3 technology. It is taking Canon, Sony and Nikon much longer to obtain the same high ISO results you just obtained here. Even some FF cameras cannot beat the IQ by much. I think the new generation of m4/3 cameras is probably three times better than the first (at least in terms of AF speed and high ISO control), which means the manufacturers are making steady progress.

Tullio

Last edited by Tullio; Nov 14, 2011 at 10:51 AM.
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 9:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackpot View Post
Wow!

Your ISO 3200 photos blow away my ISO 1600 photos. I'm guessing the differences involve shooting in post-processing in RAW, but I don't even know where to begin. What are my choices for RAW support?

I apologize for asking one question after another. I'm very new to all this, and I want to learn.
Olympus makes an "OK", free raw converter, Viewer II, but the better options are third-party programs such as Adobe Camera RAW, Capture One, Bibble Labs and Silkypix, among several others.

One thing you could do is use the Olympus Viewer program, which gives you the same parameter options you have when setting up the camera to shoot JPEG, to test your JPEG settings and develope a parameter set you like best for any given type subject. Simply shoot raw and then use Viewer's raw processor to preview how files look based on various setting changes and figure out what in-camera settings work best, or, just shoot raw and use Viewer to get things right afterwards. That's the easiest use of raw with a Pen.

The most flexibility comes in using some of the better third-party raw converters. I've been using Photoshop for a long time and prefer it to anything else I have tried. Less expensive Adobe programs like Photoshop Elements and Lightroom offer the same raw processor, Adobe Camera RAW, as Photoshop.

The most extensive free program you can simply download off the internet that I have tried is RAW Therapee. Very complete, but for someone like me, already used to the nomenclature and value system of Photoshop, the slider values used and what exactly each slider is doing in RAW Therapee is a mind-bending/breaking exercise to try and figure out, made even more complex because the program is "open", with constant updates. I was playing with version 4.0 before Adobe updated Camera RAW for the E-P3, but the latest instruction manual I could find was for version 3.0 and the latest version of the program I could find to download for a Windows-based machine prior to 4.0 was version 2.4, even though the download file extension said it was version 3.0!

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 14, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Excellent results if you ask me. I think comparatively speaking, the m4/3 sensors have improve a lot more and a lot quicker than the larger sensors used on non-4/3 or m4/3 technology. It is taking Canon, Sony and Nikon much longer to obtain the same high ISO results you just obtained here. Even some FF cameras cannot beat the IQ by much. I think the new generation of m4/3 cameras are probably three times better than the first (at least in terms of AF speed and high ISO control), which means the manufacturers are making steady progress.
The operational speed of the E-P3 and 45/1.8 under those conditions was certainly impressive enough. No hesitation locking on the subject with the 45/1.8 or 12mm f2 the few times I used it, and I was utilizing the 14x magnified AF box to pinpoint exactly where I wanted the focus to be placed with the 45 wide open at f1.8. AF and response times were slower the few times I tried using the Panasonic 20/1.7.

An updated 17mm with the internal focus system used in the 45, and one stop faster at f2 as you noted earlier, would probably be as hot a seller as the 45 is right now.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 11:09 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by zig-123 View Post
Good morning Greg,

Well, Olympus certainly has come a long way in the development of the 43 sensor and processing engine from the day when I first got my E-500. Results like these would have been impossible back then.

Granted, a camera equipped with a larger sensor and the capability to shoot using higher ISO settings would be the better choice if you were doing pro work. But, I'll take the results any day when you consider the convenience of size in the E-P3.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

Zig
Thanks, Zig. I agree. For the little bit I carried in there Saturday evening, I'm more than happy with the results.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 7:30 PM   #17

Thank you for all your help, Greg. You've given me a lot to think about!
Jackpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:18 AM   #18

That third photo looks a little like a young Keith Richards from the Stones.
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:22 AM   #19

Speaking of Adobe Camera RAW, I just got a heck of a deal on a Canon Pro 9000 MkII printer new in the box for 100 bucks. It came with Elements 8 and for some reason, it will not recognize RAW photos from my E-PL2. Do I need a plug in of some sort? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Olympus makes an "OK", free raw converter, Viewer II, but the better options are third-party programs such as Adobe Camera RAW, Capture One, Bibble Labs and Silkypix, among several others.

One thing you could do is use the Olympus Viewer program, which gives you the same parameter options you have when setting up the camera to shoot JPEG, to test your JPEG settings and develope a parameter set you like best for any given type subject. Simply shoot raw and then use Viewer's raw processor to preview how files look based on various setting changes and figure out what in-camera settings work best, or, just shoot raw and use Viewer to get things right afterwards. That's the easiest use of raw with a Pen.

The most flexibility comes in using some of the better third-party raw converters. I've been using Photoshop for a long time and prefer it to anything else I have tried. Less expensive Adobe programs like Photoshop Elements and Lightroom offer the same raw processor, Adobe Camera RAW, as Photoshop.

The most extensive free program you can simply download off the internet that I have tried is RAW Therapee. Very complete, but for someone like me, already used to the nomenclature and value system of Photoshop, the slider values used and what exactly each slider is doing in RAW Therapee is a mind-bending/breaking exercise to try and figure out, made even more complex because the program is "open", with constant updates. I was playing with version 4.0 before Adobe updated Camera RAW for the E-P3, but the latest instruction manual I could find was for version 3.0 and the latest version of the program I could find to download for a Windows-based machine prior to 4.0 was version 2.4, even though the download file extension said it was version 3.0!
Old Nov 18, 2011, 6:48 AM   #20

Hi James,
The first thing you should do after installing the elements software is to go to Adobe's site and download all the updates. Who knows how long that disc has been sitting on the shelf along with the printer.

The updates on the Adobe site should also show the cameras that have been added with each version update.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote