Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 22, 2011, 6:33 AM   #1

Default FourThree Rumors.com + 12-60mm m43 lens

Here's a link to a short article stating that Olympus is about to release an m43 version of the venerable 12-60mm SWD lens.

That would be a very sweet lens to have IMHO.

http://www.43rumors.com/

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 22, 2011, 8:24 AM   #2

Wonder why it's labeled f2.8-4 if it's a constant aperture lens. Maybe I do not understand "constant aperture". I'm thinking that if f2.8 is set at 12mm, then it would remain f2.8 at 60mm.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:44 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Wonder why it's labeled f2.8-4 if it's a constant aperture lens. Maybe I do not understand "constant aperture". I'm thinking that if f2.8 is set at 12mm, then it would remain f2.8 at 60mm.
Hi James,
you may have misread it as it states the the lens reported to be in the works is not a constant aperture

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 10:53 AM   #4

I guess I missed that Zig, but at my age I miss quite a few things.
Thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2011, 11:14 AM   #5

Yes, I read about this just a little earlier. Sounds nice. No real mention as to what the variable aperture would be. Many on the DPR site are assuming it'll match the f2.8-4 variable aperture setting and 60mm long end of the four-thirds model. Sounds like we will not have to wait too long to find out if those assumptions are correct or not.

Any user of the four-thirds model will be looking at several specs. Obviously there will be lots of distortion correction going on in the body to keep the design small since the optically corrected-as-can-be four-thirds model has some pretty complex distortion at 12mm. The four-thirds lens also focuses very, very close on its' own. It'll be interesting to see if they can do that with a micro model. The 75-300 micro lens does not focus nearly as close as the four-thirds 70-300. I for one would really like to see a micro version of the EX25 tube that I could use with the 75-300, but the 12-60 would plug a big hole in the optical lineup.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I guess I missed that Zig, but at my age I miss quite a few things.
Thanks.
Hi James,

Trust me, you're not alone as, after reading your response, I had to go back to the article to re-read it.

Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Yes, I read about this just a little earlier. Sounds nice. No real mention as to what the variable aperture would be. Many on the DPR site are assuming it'll match the f2.8-4 variable aperture setting and 60mm long end of the four-thirds model. Sounds like we will not have to wait too long to find out if those assumptions are correct or not.

Any user of the four-thirds model will be looking at several specs. Obviously there will be lots of distortion correction going on in the body to keep the design small since the optically corrected-as-can-be four-thirds model has some pretty complex distortion at 12mm. The four-thirds lens also focuses very, very close on its' own. It'll be interesting to see if they can do that with a micro model. The 75-300 micro lens does not focus nearly as close as the four-thirds 70-300. I for one would really like to see a micro version of the EX25 tube that I could use with the 75-300, but the 12-60 would plug a big hole in the optical lineup.

Even though, I've pretty much converted to the Nikon D7000 + 70-200 mm 2.8
for most of my shooting these days, When it comes time for me to go out and shoot landscapes, seascapes, etc. I drag out the E-30 with the 12-60mm SWD.

May be it's just because I know what to expect from the combo and I'm comfortable in adjusting to the nuances of the lens and camera, but the results I get continue to satisfy my requirements and everyone that buys my prints, here on the Cape, always comments as to how just good the images look.

It sure would be nice to have a similar lens for the E-P2.

Zig

Old Nov 22, 2011, 12:57 PM   #8

Wherever that $4.9 billion went, assuming it went anywhere, Olympus must not be completely out of funds yet to be able to keep developing new lenses for this system.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 9:50 AM   #9

It will be a nice lens to have but it won't be cheap, that's for sure.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:10 AM   #10

Where is this 4.9 billion coming from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Wherever that $4.9 billion went, assuming it went anywhere, Olympus must not be completely out of funds yet to be able to keep developing new lenses for this system.