Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:51 AM   #11

"It seems the lens that came with the camera is intended to be only "acceptably" good." The 14-40mm lens is actually pretty good. I've seen quite a few pics on this forum taken with that lens and they all appeared colorful and quite sharp. The only difference in the II model is faster/quieter focusing. The glass is the same as far as I'm aware of.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxEphemeral View Post
Thanks to all. I've learned a lot in less than a day of reading here.

The tip for reducing the size of the focusing rectangle is just one good thing I picked up here.

This leaves me wishing I'd come here before buying and then I'd have probably just bought the camera body and added a better lens than the one that comes with it.

It seems the lens that came with the camera is intended to be only "acceptably" good.

I'll probably buy the Panasonic Lumix 4.0 to 5.6 45-200mm from Amazon. It's about $250 now with free shipping, which is about as good as I can hope to get, I guess.

An even bigger zoom might be nice, but.....coming from 35mm photography the idea of a 600mm telephoto is pretty extreme.

If the Lumix gives me 400mm that will probably be plenty for me to handle for now, and I'll definitely be using a tripod.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
The only difference in the II model is faster/quieter focusing.
Faster focusing is vitally important in some applications.

I also read somewhere that it was better at focusing in low light. If that is true, then it's a huge improvement, because low light focusing ability has been a big problem with the lens provided.
VoxEphemeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:57 AM   #13

Quote:
Well, it (Lumix 45-200mm) should be here this week. I got one of the last four that sold for $252. Today it's up to $268.

Must be the Christmas rush.
Currency valuations also figure in quite a bit. The bigger retailers keep in tune with currency fluctuations since it figures heavily with their buying new stock. The dollar has softened a little recently so I can understand a recent adjustment upwards in prices on most items here in the US.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 12:45 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
"It seems the lens that came with the camera is intended to be only "acceptably" good." The 14-40mm lens is actually pretty good. I've seen quite a few pics on this forum taken with that lens and they all appeared colorful and quite sharp. The only difference in the II model is faster/quieter focusing. The glass is the same as far as I'm aware of.
I think the differences between the "II" and the very newest "R' version of the 14-42 are strictly cosmetic, but the "II" is optically different from the original 14-42. The original actually focuses closer. Several users noted this when they started replacing the original 14-42's with the new versions.

Other than close focusing, everything else about the "II" version is better. The lens is way more more rigid when extended to the shooting position and does not have the wobble issues of the original 14-42, autofocus is much faster and Olympus designed the "II" with a bayonet and sells an accessory hood for it.

This review of the "II" model goes over some of the optical and construction differences.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1400/cat/15
Old Nov 28, 2011, 1:07 PM   #15

Greg, I didn't realize a hood was made for it. I'll have to look for it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I think the differences between the "II" and the very newest "R' version of the 14-42 are strictly cosmetic, but the "II" is optically different from the original 14-42. The original actually focuses closer. Several users noted this when they started replacing the original 14-42's with the new versions.

Other than close focusing, everything else about the "II" version is better. The lens is way more more rigid when extended to the shooting position and does not have the wobble issues of the original 14-42, autofocus is much faster and Olympus designed the "II" with a bayonet and sells an accessory hood for it.

This review of the "II" model goes over some of the optical and construction differences.

http://www.slrgear.com/reviews/showp...ct/1400/cat/15
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:54 PM   #16

Quote:
With birds I find that I'm often shooting in early morning or late afternoon and 1/400 is a rare thing.

More like 1/60 or less. When we get some snow things will probably be brighter.

Well, it (Lumix 45-200mm) should be here this week. I got one of the last four that sold for $252. Today it's up to $268.

Must be the Christmas rush.
Good grief!!!

Seven hours later and it's up to $284!!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:08 PM   #17

Yeah, the market was way up today and the dollar down against other currencies.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:21 PM   #18

Well, it looks like Amazon features the lowest price seller and the prices get higher as that seller runs out of a particular model.

Two sellers have run out and the current one featured has two left.

This lens (when you add shipping) has gone up almost $50 in a day and a half.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Greg, I didn't realize a hood was made for it. I'll have to look for it.
Yes, It's a nice little accessory. Model number LH-40..

Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:32 AM   #20

Thanks Greg. I'm going to order one from B&H today as long as it's not one of those 100 dollar hoods.