Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 26, 2011, 2:43 PM   #1

Default Best Zoom for E-LP1???? (50-200mm range)

New owner and getting used to this quirky little camera......bought the "Dummies" book and that helped a lot.

However, the 14-42mm is not enough telephoto for birds.

It's also slow to focus and sometimes seems very confused or won't focus in even slightly low light. I suppose I'll have to go to manual in those conditions.

I see the choices in lenses are quite limited because it looks like I should stick to those designated "Micro."

After quite a bit of reading I'm thinking the Panasonic Lumix 4.0 to 5.6 45-200mm is probably the best bet.

Suggestions and help, please.

Or tell me I've made a mistake and should just go all the way to a DSLR???
VoxEphemeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 26, 2011, 2:48 PM   #2

G'day VE

I've got the 45-200 and I love it ... small & compact to suit the sensor format, fast & sharp - a great lens

I compare it with the Sigma 70-300 for the Pentax, and the Sigma - being a "DG" lens for full-frame use, is h-u-g-e

Regards,Phil
Ozzie_Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2011, 3:33 PM   #3

Thanks, Ozzie.

I'm wondering if I'm correct in thinking that there really are not any other likely choices for the E-LP1 in this approximate range of zoom.

Did you consider any other alternatives?
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:47 AM   #4

That's the only really close match to the 50-200mm range. Olympus' own 40-150 is as close as they come and there's the two longer zooms, the Panasonic 100-300 or the Olympus 75-300. Panasonic now also offers a new model, the 45-175. That's pretty much it from a native micro four-thirds standpoint.

The 14-42 Zuiko that came with the E-PL1 is the slowest focusing Micro Zuiko out there. The newer "II" model focuses much faster and almost completely quietly.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:02 AM   #5

The Olympus 75-300 that Greg mentioned would be a good bird lens keeping in mind that the field of view is equal to a 150-600mm lens on a full frame camera. The use of a tripod would result in better sharpness, especially at 300mm.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:35 AM   #6

If you want to go cheaper, you can get the Zuiko 70-300mm 4/3 + adapter (either Olympus or the cheaper Panasonic). This is an excellent lens but the whole ensemble is on the bulky and heavy side. Other possibilities are old MF lenses (with the appropriate mount adapter). Most are very cheap compared to the m4/3 zoom lenses but then again, very big and heavy. The advantage you have is that the EPL1 has IBIS, which will work with any lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 10:46 AM   #7

B&H Photo has a refurbished model of the lens Tulio suggested and it's priced at 279.00.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:24 AM   #8

Thanks to all. I've learned a lot in less than a day of reading here.

The tip for reducing the size of the focusing rectangle is just one good thing I picked up here.

This leaves me wishing I'd come here before buying and then I'd have probably just bought the camera body and added a better lens than the one that comes with it.

It seems the lens that came with the camera is intended to be only "acceptably" good.

I'll probably buy the Panasonic Lumix 4.0 to 5.6 45-200mm from Amazon. It's about $250 now with free shipping, which is about as good as I can hope to get, I guess.

An even bigger zoom might be nice, but.....coming from 35mm photography the idea of a 600mm telephoto is pretty extreme.

If the Lumix gives me 400mm that will probably be plenty for me to handle for now, and I'll definitely be using a tripod.

Thanks again.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 11:26 PM   #9

The 45-200mm is a good lens and it has image stabilization (OIS system). Since the EPL1 has IBIS, I suggest you switch the OIS off on the lens. You won't need a tripod for most of your shooting unless light condition is poor forcing the shutter speed to drop way below 1/400.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 11:29 AM   #10

With birds I find that I'm often shooting in early morning or late afternoon and 1/400 is a rare thing.

More like 1/60 or less. When we get some snow things will probably be brighter.

Well, it (Lumix 45-200mm) should be here this week. I got one of the last four that sold for $252. Today it's up to $268.

Must be the Christmas rush.