Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:15 AM   #21

Last night I went to the Stars NHL game and had to take the 7.5 Rokinon and do the same shot I did months ago with the 8mm Olympus fisheye on the Pen. It's interesting how much better the Rokinon handled the lighting. I had to do a substantial amount of fringing correction to the 8mm Zuiko image to remove the purple/blue fringing from the ceiling lights, and still was left with some, but there's absolutely no fringing issues with this Rokinon lens. Pretty outstanding.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 20, 2011 at 9:32 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:21 AM   #22

Looks like a darn nice lens for the money and no adaptor required, correct?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:51 AM   #23

That's correct. You do have to manually focus the lens, but I have yet to do anything more than just set the distance mark to infinity and fire away. This image was shot at f4, so almost wide open. Those two small screens with "Geico" on them were around 5-6 feet away and you can see they are tack sharp, so having the "manually focus" this lens is a non-issue.

The one thing that could screw an image up is if you do not turn off stabilization or do not manually dial in the correct focal length to the IS system if you do leave it on. I have not even checked to see if 7.5MM is available to select, but I'm guessing it's not since this is not a lens Olympus made. The easiest thing to do is just not have stabilization on when using this lens. It's just not necessary at this focal length anyway.

There are no electronic contacts, so no information is sent from the lens to camera, meaning the EXIF data does not include information suchs as focal length and/or f-stop used in the exposure, so you are limited to aperture priority and manual exposure. The camera cannot control the aperture, so the program and shutter priority modes are not useable, but all metering options are available.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:18 AM   #24

Mmm, so is the lens strictly manual? Does the auto metering work with this lens?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
That's correct. You do have to manually focus the lens, but I have yet to do anything more than just set the distance mark to infinity and fire away. This image was shot at f4, so almost wide open. Those two small screens with "Geico" on them were around 5-6 feet away and you can see they are tack sharp, so having the "manually focus" this lens is a non-issue.

The one thing that could screw an image up is if you do not turn off stabilization or do not manually dial in the correct focal length to the IS system if you do leave it on. I have not even checked to see if 7.5MM is available to select, but I'm guessing it's not since this is not a lens Olympus made. The easiest thing to do is just not have stabilization on when using this lens. It's just not necessary at this focal length anyway.

There are no electronic contacts, so no information is sent from the lens to camera, meaning the EXIF data does not include information suchs as focal length and/or f-stop used in the exposure, so you are limited to aperture priority and manual exposure. The camera cannot control the aperture, so the program and shutter priority modes are not useable, but all metering options are available.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:19 AM   #25

FYI,

If you have the IS system on, you can go down to 8mm (which is probably close enough).

Gilles

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:50 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Mmm, so is the lens strictly manual? Does the auto metering work with this lens?
You have to turn the aperture ring (old school) to set the f-stop. You can use aperture priority and the camera will select the correct shutter speed and all metering options (spot, center-weighted, multi-segment) are available.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:53 AM   #27

Oh good, thanks Greg. I'm thinking that may be my next lens. You do not need an adaptor, correct?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:54 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by folob View Post
FYI,

If you have the IS system on, you can go down to 8mm (which is probably close enough).

Gilles
No doubt that's correct. I typically shoot with IS off outdoors no matter the lens in use and have already a couple of times forgotten to turn IS off and then back on when switching from this lens to another. The last thing I need to do is manually dial this lens in the IS system. Chances are, I'd forget to turn it back to to auto select and screw up everything else I shoot.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:55 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Oh good, thanks Greg. I'm thinking that may be my next lens. You do not need an adaptor, correct?
Correct. It is a direct micro mount lens, and it's TINY for what it is.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:10 PM   #30

Size Samyang 7.5mm - Samyang 8mm

DonalDuc is offline   Reply With Quote