Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Nov 27, 2011, 2:54 PM   #1

Default Rokinon 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye

If you're looking to pick up a fisheye for your micro outfit, this is the lens you want. Outstanding value at $299 compared to over $600 for the Panasonic micro fisheye. B&H is where I purchased mine.
This is the same lens as the Samyang reviewed at Lenstip.com..

http://www.lenstip.com/1943-news-Sam...ns_review.html

Everything they say about this lens in the above review, as far as I can see, is accurate. It performs better than the 8mm f3.5 Zuiko I have been using on my Olympus DSLR's and have used via the MMF-2 adapter on my Pens.

Edge fringing/chromatic aberration? Virtually non-existant. Amazing compared to the 8mm Zuiko.

Sharp? Very much so, and handles direct sun in the field of view very well as you can see in a couple of images below.

Yes, it is a manual focus lens, but the extent of manual focusing I did was to set the lens to infinity focus and forget it. That's it. When I captured a closeup subject, I simply made sure I stopped down to f8-11. The aperture ring (positively old school) has 1/2 stop detents and goes from f3.5-22.

Image Stabilization? Turn it off. You don't need it. If you do leave it on, you'll have to manually dial in the focal length or it will screw your images up. The initial couple of shots I captured looked bad, then I realized IS was on and I had not dialed in the proper focal length.

I captured several images downtown earlier today with my E-P3. Shot RAW, processed in Adobe Camera RAW/Photoshop CS5 and loaded them all to this folder, which I will be updating as I add more images. I REALLY wished I had taken it to the football game last night at Cowboys Stadium, but I was afraid security might turn me away. The walk back to the car would have been a long way and it was too cold to be taking that chance .

http://gmchappell.smugmug.com/Other/...809802_pNffqhG

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Nov 27, 2011 at 3:03 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 27, 2011, 5:41 PM   #2

.....all I can say is WOW! Very cool indeed, I've never used a 'fish-eye' but the results always look so interesting.

I thought of you last night while watching the game and wondered/imagined the perhaps images from your new lens.

Bases on reviews and your results, the Samyang would be a fun lens to have.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 5:51 PM   #3

At it turned out, they would have/could have been very interesting. My friend and I had the "cheap seat" tickets down in an endzone corner but my friend, a Baylor grad, ran into someone he knew who had 8 tickets on the 45 yard line just below Jerry Jones' box and he gave us two, so there we were, literally on the 50 yard line at a perfect height. I coulda captured the whole field and that 60 yard-long screen hanging over the field.....and I saw several people in there with DSLR's.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 2:55 PM   #4

Any idea where to find it in Canada ... or a decent place where they ship there?

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 3:33 PM   #5

Found it . Amazon.com via Cameta Camera .... 10 days to wait

Gears: OM-D E-M5 Mark II and E-M1 MK 1 with 14-150mm Mark II, 12-40mm f2.8, 15mm f8 cap lens, 60mm Macro, 75-300mm, Olympus Trinity -> 25/45/75mm f1.8. On the 4/3 side: 9-18mm and 50-200SWD with the MMF-2 4/3 adapter, FL-36R and FL-50. Also Rokinon mFT 7.5mm f3.5 Fisheye, Pentax 50mm f1.7 with K to m4/3 adapter, Olympus OM 200mm with OM to m4/3 adapter.
folob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 4:52 PM   #6

10 Days? YUK!

I know there are some Olympus dealers in Canada. The problem is, only the larger ones would probably carry the exotic third-party stuff like these Samyang/Rokinon lenses.

I noticed B&H is now out of stock on the silver Rokinon. The one I bought from them may have been the only one they had.
Old Nov 28, 2011, 6:00 PM   #7

Amazing, Greg. Nice work!
Old Nov 28, 2011, 7:37 PM   #8

Pretty awesome. I'm not a big fan of fisheye lenses myself but I like these images. Did you crop them at all? I see absolutely no signs of vignetting and images are very sharp.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2011, 9:20 PM   #9

Hi, Tullio. Thanks for the comments.

No, they're pretty much as shot. One or two were very slightly not as "level" as I wanted, so I did a very slight amount of straightening in ACR, but the amount of the file sliced off was extremely minimal in those. Of the ones posted above, numbers 1 and 3 were two where I did a slight amount of straightening.

The fringing issue, or lack thereof, was what was so impressive to me. The 8mm f3.5 Digital Zuiko shows fringing in spades along the edges, and it's very hard to almost impossible to mitigate in many files. This Rokinon lens shows zip, nada fringing that I can see.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:41 PM   #10

For a moment I thought this was an AF lens but it isn't, correct? Even though the mount is m4/3 (so no need for adapters), the lens actually can't communicate with the body so focus is manual...why? Is it a proprietary thing where Oly/Pana do not allow anyone to build m4/3 lenses that is fully operational on m4/3 bodies?

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote