Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:44 AM   #11

......ahhhhh, choices (see my tagline) make for fun decision making.

BTW, I ordered a LH-40 replacement off eBay for 12$ (no shipping charge), black matte finish. It won't have Olympus printed on it but hey, it was cheap!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:56 AM   #12

As long as the quality is equal I can live with most any brand. That was a good buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
......ahhhhh, choices (see my tagline) make for fun decision making.

BTW, I ordered a LH-40 replacement off eBay for 12$ (no shipping charge), black matte finish. It won't have Olympus printed on it but hey, it was cheap!
Old Dec 8, 2011, 7:25 PM   #13

Well, one thing for sure is that the LH-40 hood mounted to the 14-42 balances out super well to the FV-2 and with the large grip the P3 takes on a whole new stance. It becomes the most appealing of any MFT camera (black, of course, for me).
--------------

Greg, I like the silver combos too and with your lenses, with hoods, again.... beautifully balanced for eye appeal and handling.

BTW, LH-40 replacement I bought ($12 net) off eBay is a perfect mold & fit-to-lens, is matte black. A very nice purchase, glad to have it.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM.
Old Dec 9, 2011, 12:07 AM   #14

I was reading a post over on DPR of the third-party replacement hood for the 45/1.8 and saw some complaints about it being a "loose" fitting hood.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=39950515

I've been impatiently waiting for that Olympus hood to make it over to these shores, but it's nowhere to be found, so I finally bought it from a Japanese dealer for about $10 more than B&H shows it online. Of course, B&H has it listed, but it's never been in-stock. Should have it in around 6-10 days.

The hood for the 75-300 M. Zuiko I already had. The official Olympus hood for that lens is the same one included with the 70-300 four-thirds Zuiko. The black lenses and hoods have their own attractive look to them on the chrome body. Reminds me of the many chrome 35mm SLR's I've used with black-finished lenses.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:03 AM   #15

Received my LH-40 a few days ago and I must agree, the PL2 looks sweet with that hood on and it does fit nice and snug.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:15 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I was reading a post over on DPR of the third-party replacement hood for the 45/1.8 and saw some complaints about it being a "loose" fitting hood.

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=39950515

I've been impatiently waiting for that Olympus hood to make it over to these shores, but it's nowhere to be found, so I finally bought it from a Japanese dealer for about $10 more than B&H shows it online. Of course, B&H has it listed, but it's never been in-stock. Should have it in around 6-10 days.
BTW, the genuine Olympus LH-40B hood for the 45/1.8 I ordered from Japan showed up today, less than a week after ordering. Pretty darn fast, I would say. Sweet little accessory. Looks great on the 45, the fit and finish are what you expect from Olympus and the thing fits like a glove on the lens with none of the wobbliness noted in the above link regarding the third-party option.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 12, 2011 at 12:17 PM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:49 PM   #17

Good to hear.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 3:10 PM   #18

....it is good to hear Greg.

I got my LH-40 replacement from NY, Rainbow Imaging. It is a perfect match for finish & color (black matte) and the fit could not be better, a good $13 spent. I've already said all this but what the heck, when it is good it is worth repeating........ I think I will take it over yonder and see what stirs about it, but that is for another time.

I've now ordered a remote release off eBay, coming out of Hong Kong, dirt cheap will need to see it before commenting. Also, I am using a cheap'o battery (BLS-1) that Kirk Tuck recommended off Amazon (MaximalPower @ 1800mAH), it was $9.99 and free shipping because I got the bill to $25+. This battery is now $22 but looking through eBay I will buy another cheapy soon, so long as it will be 1800-2000+ mAH.

I just don't like paying OEM prices for things such as batteries and simple accessories.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Dec 12, 2011, 4:26 PM   #19

Batteries are definitely not cheap. Fortunately, I have four just from past body purchases, including the one that came with the E620 DSLR.

Katherine's talking about Paris again for 2012. Instead of taking a Woverine 40GB hard drive like I did in 2006, I think I have close to that much space in a collection of SD cards now.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 3:22 PM   #20

Quote:
Instead of taking a Woverine 40GB hard drive like I did in 2006
....the Wolverine FlashPac 7000 from 2006 will NOT work with HCSD cards AND CAN DAMAGE THE CARD ATTEMPTING TO READ IT

I have the same FlashPAC 40GB, used it for our trip to Iowa in 2006 when I all I had for the E-300 was a couple 2GB Compact Flash cards. The offload worked perfectly and I also used the FlashPac to port files to-and-from work and home (so that I could work MORE).

Anyway just last week I decided to find out what would happen if I loaded an 8GB class10 HCSD.... the Wolverine FP showed 'initiating' on the screen, it never ended, so I turned it off and removed the card which from that point in time nothing I own would read the card including the E-P3.

I lost no data because I had formatted the card in the P3, snapped a file and did the thing with the Wolverine FP.

So, that is my very current story on the HCSD card in Wolverine's slot and the darn thing ate the card. I was surprised that anything was written to the card but something was going on and it turned out to be not good.

BTW, I am using Patriot & Transcend 8GB Class10 HC cards from Amazon @ $10-$12 dollars. I only buy on Amazon when spending $25+ so for the FREE shipping.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 13, 2011 at 6:25 PM.