Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 5, 2011, 12:24 AM   #1

Talking The 45mm f1.8 M. Zuiko used at f4

From around 4-5 feet away with the E-P3 and the FL50R flash, ISO 200, with the head tilted up and the Demb bounce attachment mounted.

At this distance, f4 does a very good job with most all of the face, with sharpness falling off very fast from the top of the head and ears back. Open up to f2.8 or wider and you have to shart making decisions as to what part of the face is going to be in-focus. Fortunately, the face recognition AF system works very well. I had face and eye priority enabled and it definitely locked onto and focused sharply on the eyes. Must faster than either the focus and recompose method or manually changing the AF location within the field.

This room was pretty dark as well, but the cameras' AF assist light latched on instantly just like the E5 DSLR + FL50R would have using the flash units' AF assist light.

Captured raw, in Adobe Camera RAW I used some negative clarity to try and soften details up a little, but this image is still one I am sure the subject would want softened a little more still....

You can click on this image and it will open up on my website, where the full-sized file can be viewed if you want to check details even closer.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:33 AM   #2

Hi Greg,

As sharp and as detailed as this photo is, I'm surprised that your significant other allowed you to post it.
Everytime I take a photo of my wife, then show her how nice and sharp she looks in the image, she just tells me to either use another lens that's not so good or photoshop the every detail out.:roll eyes:

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 7:29 AM   #3

I hear you Zig. My wife wanted a pic for Facebook and I must have taken 30 of them before I got one she liked. She's 55 and she wants to look like 25.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 9:39 AM   #4

Talking

:d:d:d:d
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:30 PM   #5

No need to check the details any closer...there is no doubt that the EP3 + 45mm form a great team. I was about to buy the 45mm when I came across the Leica 25mm f1.4 going for $449 on the EPP site. I think the wider field of view will be more useful (on top of the speed). I can't decide...

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:32 PM   #6

Tulio, what is the EPP site?
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:34 PM   #7

It's the Panasonic Employee Purchase Program. If you have an account, you get the employee discount (up to 25% on selected items).

Tullio
Old Dec 5, 2011, 1:50 PM   #8

Thank you. Thought it may have been another forum.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 2:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
No need to check the details any closer...there is no doubt that the EP3 + 45mm form a great team. I was about to buy the 45mm when I came across the Leica 25mm f1.4 going for $449 on the EPP site. I think the wider field of view will be more useful (on top of the speed). I can't decide...
I've been using the Panny 20/1.7 for wider FOV, but the Panny/Leica is like a siren in the night. It was actually in-stock Saturday night on B&H's site for about 5 minutes.

BTW, There's a major difference in terms of how the E-P3 + external flash operates with the Zuiko lenses vs. the Panny 20/1.7. When using the FL50R flash in TTL mode, there's a distinct delay between the firing of the pre-flash and the actual exposure pop when using the Panny lens compared to using the Olympus Micro Zuikos. Enough to cause some subjects to close their eyes at the time of the exposure. When I use the Olympus 45/1.8, 12mm f2, or even the "older" 17mmf 2.8 Zuikos the two flash pops in TTL mode are virtually instantaneous.

If I ever used this setup at an event and was using flash I would definitely be using non-TTL auto to eliminate the TTL pre-flash when shooting with the Panny 20/1.7.

The 20/1.7 also makes the same "twitching" sound I see people talking about over on the Micro forum at DPReview that happens with the Pen+25/1.4 combination when used in the Program Mode. My solution is I use the Panny lens in Aperture Priority mode. Manually controlling the aperture stops the twitching.
Old Dec 5, 2011, 4:07 PM   #10

It appears that every Pana lens makes the rattling sound on Oly bodies. I had the 20mm and now I have the 14mm and they both made that sound, which I believe is caused by the diaphragm opening/closing as the camera is moved around.

Tullio