Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 9, 2011, 6:06 PM   #1

Default ......the P3 meets an R8

Today I stopped by The Ballpark in Arlington to visit and this Audi R8 came smoothing into the parking lot at the same time, the fellow parked 2-slots down. We spoke, he was going into the ballpark bldg and I asked if I may photograph the R8....... he said it would be ok and these are the images I made.

E-P3 w/14-42 'P' mode because of the crappy overcast weather. Shot RAW and directly converted (no PP tweaking), some cropping.

2011 Audi R8 (3600 lbs, 420 HP, 6-speed manual, matte black and grey carbon fibre external side panels ... $125,000.00+) and it sounded awesome.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 9, 2011, 8:46 PM   #2

WWoooooooooooowwwwwww.......*drooling*...
Wes
Wes James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 9:02 PM   #3

Well Bob,

I usually get more excited at the prospects of using a new camera or lens.
But that automobile, Wow!, I would love to get behind the wheel and take it for a ride.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2011, 10:58 PM   #4

Dealer tags! Brand-spankin' new. I'd be grinning like that, too. That tire/brake system is.....wow....
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:46 AM   #5

I'm surprised by how much distortion this lens produces (and not corrected by the camera). The third and fourth shots look like they were taken with a fisheye lens.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 10:57 AM   #6

I can see what you are saying. I can also tell the third image introduces a lot of that from the pointing down of the camera to shoot that image at the angle he used. To a lesser extent, the fourth shot is similar.

The Pens do not completely, 100% correct distortion from what I have seen. If I want my 12mm f2 shots to have perfectly straight lines in images where it would be obvious if they were not, which fortunately is in a very small percentage of shots, I always have to add +4 distortion correction in Adobe Camera RAW via the lens correction tab to the RAW file when processing. I have even had to do that when processing files shot with the Pen + the four-thirds 9-18 zoom via the MMF-2 adapter because 9mm is not perfectly corrected in that lens.
Old Dec 11, 2011, 11:42 AM   #7

I would expect a bit more distortion from a 12mm simply because it's slightly wider. I have a G1 and G3 with the 14-45mm and the EPL1 with its 14-42mm kit lens and never noticed this much distortion at all from these kit lenses. So, either these lenses are better matches for the sensors or these cameras correct lens distortion better (or perhaps a combination of the two).

Tullio
Old Dec 11, 2011, 9:30 PM   #8

.....I've been really busy since that day and have been using the 14-42 only for these and last night when I shot 100+ files at our family Ugly Sweater Christmas party.

I saw the distortion in the Audi files and again, some of it rather extreme, in the files from last evening. I was wondering if shooting RAW vs JPG has anything to do with correction.

Next I will do some like distances and angles shot to JPG and look at them for any change. I am not aware of any camera settings to determine correction.

I really like using the 14-54 but also the 14-42 when at the party last night the small lens just made an easier time of it and did not get in the way of me also having a good time.

I probably will not use the 14-42 a lot but did/do need to learn about its characteristics. Thanks too, I appreciate the comments.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Dec 11, 2011 at 9:33 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:19 AM   #9

The RAW vs. JPEG issue depends on the converter you are using. Companies that are handling raw files as they are intended by Olympus and Panasonic are incorporating the encoded distortion correction within the data set as the file is opened in the converter, so distortion correction is supposed to be handled before you see or do anything with any raw file, just like a JPEG. That is how Adobe Camera RAW and most other mainstream programs work.

Most, but not all.

One I have worked with that does not is RAW Therapee, and I have heard Lightzone does not either, so with those programs you have to manually do all corrections yourself and yes, any uncorrected file, depending on the lens, can display some pretty hefty distortions, especially at the wide end of the zoom range where it's always the worst. Are you still using Bibble, Bob? I'm not sure what they are, or are not doing.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Dec 12, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 9:45 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I saw the distortion in the Audi files and again, some of it rather extreme, in the files from last evening. I was wondering if shooting RAW vs JPG has anything to do with correction.
It definitely does. When you shoot raw, you have to correct the lens distortion through software whilst the camera will do that for you when you shoot JPG.

Tullio