Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 10, 2011, 9:01 AM   #1

Default Newbie just purchased E-PL1

Just wanted to say Hi!
After reading the great reviews, and being offered a fantastic deal on a new E-PL1 I decided to bite the bullet and ordered one today.
Local Jessops store were offering the camera with the standard 14-42mm lens bundled with an additonal 40-150mm lens for the great price of 349.00. Other retailers over here had the same package up for sale at 619.00 so it was a "no brainer" really!
Have got a couple of P&S digital cameras, have had a digital SLR in the past (Sony A200) but got fed up having to carry everything around.
Been looking for a while now for something that gave me the benefits of a compact but with the PQ of an SLR and I hope I've found it with the new Oly.
Looking forward to getting stuck into the forum and picking up some handy hints and tips.
Rob
Smiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Dec 10, 2011, 3:25 PM   #2

Congrats, and welcome to the forum. There are many experienced M43 users here that are willing to help you out with any questions. Unfortunately I'm not one of them other than basic operation, I am like you, learning the Olympus M43 system.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 3:37 PM   #3

congrats great little camera. I love mine.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:18 PM   #4

Is it a better camera than the G2? Looking to move to that type of system myself.
Koolpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 4:59 PM   #5

In low light it is, but it does not have a built in view finder or tilt lcd. It is smaller then the G2. So it comes down to what you are looking for in a camera. But you get a great jpeg engine in the oly.

And with the lenses, you have a better options. The oly lens does not have OIS, as olympus uses ibis. So it is harder to use oly glass on a panny with longer FL lenses. The 75-300 form oly looks to be a better IQ lens then the panny 100-300. But I would not try using the the panny body with a oly 75-300 at 300mm in less then ideal light, you will get camera shake.

But the panny G2 is the better hd camera.

Last edited by shoturtle; Dec 10, 2011 at 5:02 PM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2011, 5:26 PM   #6

Congrats on getting a really pretty fine camera. The E-PL1 will serve you well.

A couple of suggestions, if I may, to shorten the learning curve. By all means, ask away as far as any questions you have regarding the m43 system as well as the E-PL1.

BUT try and download the manual onto your PC and then get very comfortable with it by reading it thoroughly. Yeah, I know, it's boring and very dry reading. But, your life will be a little easier if you get the basics of how to maneuver thru the menu, change various settings through the use of the super control panel rather than having to delve into the myriad of menu levels.

There is also a post at the top of this forum on how two change the focus box size to small. This will also help make it easier to use and focus the lens on exactly what you want.

One of the good things about the PEN series cameras are that they are very feature rich. The bad news is that Olympus needs to simplify the menu system so that you can get at those features quickly and easily.

Reading the manual will certainly help you get on your way.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2011, 1:02 AM   #7

Thanks for the welcome and the tips Zig. I have just downloaded the manual to the PC as suggested, and had seen the post about changing the focus box and will do this as soon as I get my hands on the camera.
Might just get "The dummies guide to the E-PL1" too. Seems to get rave reviews on Amazon.
Rob
Old Dec 27, 2011, 1:38 AM   #8

Well I did the two things that you suggested Zig. And the "dummies" book is very useful.
Just getting used to the camera now, how it handles and experimenting with a few things.
Really am enjoying it, haven't ventured outside with it over Christmas, four kids to keep amused indoors but just taking some general "snaps" with it around the house. Amazed with the results I am getting from the standard kit lens. Really sharp.
Have a holiday planned mid February to Lapland in search of the Northern Lights, hopefully we'll get to see them but if not we have lots of other things planned. Toying with the idea of getting an additional lens for it, torn between the Panny 14mm f2.5 or the Oly 45mm f1.8. I will most probably end up getting both over the course of the next few months but trying to figure out which one might be better for the trip.
Have bought a couple of smaller accessories over the holidays, including a nice camera case.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 5:56 PM   #9

Hi Smiffy,

Glad to hear that your enjoying your new toy. Yes, the kit lenses provided by Olympus are actually quite sharp and deliver very high quality images. They are very much a pleasant surprise.

I'm envious of you going to see the Northern Lights. I've never had the good fortune of being able to see them. Someday...perhaps.

As for additional lenses, I'm sure you've had a chance to take a look at some of the images that Greg has posted on this site using the 40mm 1.8 with his E-P3.
Of all the lenses that Olympus currently makes for the Pen series cameras, that is the one I think I might buy next.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2011, 10:44 AM   #10

Hi Smiffy,
As you will notice going through this forum, the one option for the E-PL1 (and the entire pen series) to get would be the VF-2 viewfinder. Don't know how the UK prices are floating on this item (or the lower spec VF-3) but it is a worthy investment. Not having to fumble about with reading glasses while using the camera -- priceless.
For your Lapland adventure and the Northern Lights, wide angle would be the best approach. When you catch a really great display, it fills the whole sky. It truly is a wonderful experience. Have fun
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote