Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 23, 2011, 8:23 AM   #31

Your memory serves you well James.

While I don't have the Olympus 35RC or RD models, I do have an Olympus
35DC Rangefinder. The DC model is essentially, a fully automatic version of the RD. Basically, you give up manual control. But, it does have the same 40mm f1.7 lens.

I picked it up last year at an estate sale. It was a case of sudden GAS
(gear acquisition syndrome) as the sticker said $7.00. After cleaning it, to my surprise, it still works just fine.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:14 AM   #32

Sweet!
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 23, 2011, 10:26 AM   #33

Back then you could get a carton of cigarettes at the base exchange for 2.35. I haven't had a cigarette in 20 years and sure as hell couldn't afford them now. During the period I also had a Kodak Instamatic 500 and that took great pics. Came with a quality Schneider lens. It was Kodak's top of the line instamatic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoxEphemeral View Post
Gosh, thanks for all the suggestions and the trip down memory lane. I was buying cameras about that time, too.

I remember the Spotmatic, of course. I almost bought one but didn't like the screw-in lenses and went instead with the Canon FT (QL) with the bayonet mount and a monster F1.2 lens. I think it was $109.95 in the Base Exchange.

I remember selling my half-frame Pen to a buddy for $15.

Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:19 AM   #34

Cigarettes........yeah.

Yokosuka.....1967.

They were 12 cents a pack by the carton and a whopping 15 cents a pack if you bought them from a machine.

Almost all of my old cameras have been lost along the way......only one survives.

Yes, those were the good old days. Now I'm in the digital daze.

VoxEphemeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:45 AM   #35

The Nikormat was the first SLR I bought when I was discharged from the service. That was one nice camera. The M43 system was a godsend for me. Much lighter and smaller and has all the bells and whistles. Best of all is doesn't have "steal me" written all over it....at least not in bold letters.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:16 PM   #36

Yes, all in all, I have to say I'm loving digital.

We can do so much with pictures so quickly and so easy compared to the good old days.

VoxEphemeral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:34 PM   #37

I like digital but still believe that a good film SLR gives better images as far as sharpness/detail than a comparably priced SLR. I was looking at some old air show slides taken with my last fil SLR (Minolta) and the detail of the engines (radial) just looked so crisp and clean and the colors just seemed more vibrant. I guess I can do a lot in that regard with Photoshop Elements 10 but the pics straight out of my old Minolta just appear crisper and more vibrant. I'm sure the size of the negative has much to do with that.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:06 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
I like digital but still believe that a good film SLR gives better images as far as sharpness/detail than a comparably priced SLR. ...
I'd say it's nostalgia more than anything. There are still believers that the old tube amplifiers sound better than the new state-of-the-art ones. or that the old LPs sound better than CDs. Anyone using a film ASA 200 or higher would have images with a heck lot of noise. Actually, for the longest time there was no ASA 200. It went from 100 to 400 and let's face it, ASA 400 was much noisier than today's ISO 3200 on cameras that can handle high ISO well. I'm not sure I agree with the "more sharpness and detail" statement either. In terms of sharpness they were a hit and miss type of thing. Shooting with long zoom was challenging to say the least since cameras and/or lenses did not have IS and unless a tripod was used, images would often look soft (OOF). I think certain films did render color well although in most cases we were at the mercy of the developer as most of us did not have the ability (or knew how) to develop color films ourselves. Today we have full control of everything. Gotta love that!

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:32 PM   #39

I'm an audiophile myself and I can attest to the fact that the high end tube power amplifiers DO sound better than solid state amps although there are a lot of high end solid state amps that rank quite high in performance along with a price tag to match. But keep in mind that to notice any improvement, the source and speakers have to be of equally high quality. I do not have "high end" equipment but I have heard this equipment at my local dealer and was quite impressed. Unfortunately my wallet is much too thin to buy that sort of gear and also holds true with camera gear.

Perfect timing, my Oly 40-150mm arrived today along with a lens hood for it. Might just try it out tonight.
Old Dec 27, 2011, 12:21 AM   #40

Looking at that Kodak 500, the lens looks very much like the lens on the Voitlander Vito B that the aged parent gave me when he updated to a point and shoot. And the Nikkormat, my favourite camera. I have a FT3 that I would still like to be using if we could get film (and processing) today that was as good as what was available back then. I used to shoot a ton of reversal film and when Kodak introduced their T-Grain colour films (EPN, 100 ASA) you could really see a difference in the perceived sharpness.
Oh, and tube amps do sound better with good modern speakers imho, I still like to power up mine. But when the next tube fails, that will be the end of that system.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote