Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:45 AM   #1

Default Flash Question On E-PL2

I noticed today that if I'm shooting in the house the flash doesn't automatically pop up like other DSLR cameras I've owned. Is manually popping up the flash the way it is suppose to work? Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:11 PM   #2

I think so. It's been a while since I've had my E-PL2 out, but check this. Turn the power off and try popping the flash up using the flash release button. It you can pop it up with the camera off, the release is mechanical and you probably do have to do it manually to turn it on.

I have owned prior Olympus DSLR's like the E620, E520, E510 where the pop up flash release did not work if the camera was turned off and would pop up automatically if you had it coded to do so or if the camera needed it on since the flash also doubled as an AF assist. I think that's the key. If it's a mechanical/manual release, meaning it always works whether the camera is on or off, then you have to pop it up if you want to use it.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:29 PM   #3

Thanks Greg. The manual doesn't state any info as to auto pop up so I thought I'd ask. The flash will not pop up with the power off so maybe I should investigate/look into the menu little further.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:41 PM   #4

Ah, I couldn't remember. The flash on the E-P3 pops up whether the camera is powered on or off. The Olympus consumer DSLR's use the built-in flash as an AF assist. If AF assist is turned on, the flash pops up automatically and flashes if the camera cannot focus on its' own. The Pens do not use the built-in flash for focus assist.

Does it not automatically pop up if the camera is in i-Auto or one of the point & shoot modes? I can understand it not popping up if in P, A, S, or M since those are more user-controlled "creative" exposure settings. If it's going to pop up automatically anywhere, it's going to be in one of those point & shoot modes.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 1:56 PM   #5

My mistake. I was pushing the button in instead of sliding it to the right. It does pop up when the power is off when I'm dealing with a full deck. UPS just dropped off my VF-2 and everything I've read about it here is true. This is a must have accessory, very nice. And no, it's not loose in the hot shoe as some state, it fits rather snug.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:42 PM   #6

Same as my VF-2. I have a feeling some can be harder on camera equipment than me, but I just do not see it slipping off accidently, even with the camera hanging off my shoulder. Maybe some pick-pocket has figured a way to snag them off bodies in crowded places, or people are banging their cameras on "stuff" pretty hard while hiking.

My ultimate torture test for that will be the 10 days in late May, early June when we go back to Paris and are moving through the streets and the Metro system, where I "lost" my wallet back in 2007.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 2:48 PM   #7

My cousin's son and wife went to Aruba and his wife likes to dive and take pics. She had a Nikonos camera that she kept in the room "safe". One morning she went to get it and it was gone. The hotel did not reimburse her because she could not prove it was there to begin with. Nich huh?
Old Dec 31, 2011, 10:06 AM   #8

This flash thing...it is a rather silly design. I think if you turned the flash off, then you'd have to manually pop it up if you wished to use the flash but if you set it in AUTO or forced (fill) flash, then it should automatically pop up if the camera determined that flash was necessary. Also, there are certain scene modes that require flash but still the camera will not make the flash pop up automatically.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote