Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 30, 2011, 4:38 PM   #1

Default New VF-2 Appears Grainy Looking

Just received my new VF-2 today and the view appears grainy to me, not as clear as the LCD screen. Maybe it's the heavy overcast gloomy day, I don't know. It doesn't appear razor sharp/clear as some folks here have stated. Yes, the diopter is set for my eyes. Wondering if there is anything I need to do in the menu/live view when using this accessory. Thanks.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:52 PM   #2

The darker the ambient light, the more coarse the look is, but I have to be inside my apartment at night with just one or two lamps on before things start looking coarse.

I cannot even come close to setting the diopter for my eyes. They don't make 'em THAT powerful....

I'll go home this evening and plug mine into the E-PL2 and check the menu to see what my settings are that may affect it. To be honest I can't think of anything up front. Whatever you can set that might affect the view through the VF-2 would also affect the view via the back LCD, like the live view boost, which would give a coarser view.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2011, 5:56 PM   #3

I do have live view boost turned off. I tried it out in the iauto mode and the ASA jumped to 1600. Perhaps I was seeing the graininess of the high ASA????
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:01 PM   #4

The dimmer the light and higher the ISO, the more gritty it can get. I just mounted my VF2 on the E-PL2 and it looks plenty sharp up to around ISO 800 in my apartment light.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 11:09 AM   #5

That's the downside of any EVF, no matter how good they are. My G3 has an excellent BI EVF but in low light, it does become grainy as well.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Emory View Post
Just received my new VF-2 today and the view appears grainy to me, not as clear as the LCD screen. Maybe it's the heavy overcast gloomy day, I don't know. It doesn't appear razor sharp/clear as some folks here have stated. Yes, the diopter is set for my eyes. Wondering if there is anything I need to do in the menu/live view when using this accessory. Thanks.
As others have said, a few more footcandles of illumination and the grain smooths out. Even with the grain, the VF-2 makes working in low light do-able.
If the view is not razor sharp, have you invoked one of the grid patterns and then adjusted the diopter till the grid appears sharp?
And finally, one thing I find under certain lighting conditions outdoors: the viewfinder snaps to a high contrast as you hit your focus point. This annoyed me at first, but now I find it helps aid the focusing.
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:57 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
the viewfinder snaps to a high contrast as you hit your focus point. This annoyed me at first, but now I find it helps aid the focusing.
Never thought about that, but I guess you could call it a digital variant of what some screens used to do on manual focus SLR's that had the center focus aides, one of which was a shimmering effect. Once the effect went away, the image was in focus.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:51 PM   #8

I just adjusted the diopter until the text on the menu appeared sharp. Think the problem was the high (1600) ASA the camera defaulted to in iAuto. Seems to be OK now but when it's light out tomorrow I'll look through it pointed outside at 200 ASA. I'm thinking with live view the grain would show with 1600ASA but I'm not sure.