Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Dec 31, 2011, 7:03 PM   #1

Cool ....I wanna scope it and don't know how

I have one of these, new; 20-60x 65mm objective lens

Does someone know the adaptor nomenclature to mount an E-P3 camera to this scope.

I received the scope as a gift 6-yrs ago and have never used it but I've always wanted to try mounting a camera to it, the E-P3 seems an ideal option as does the C7070WZ with its articulating LCD.

I've looked, read and asked questions in 'digiscoping' forums (never been answered); I am at the same loss (for how to) today as I've ever been.

T-mount adaptors are available for micro 4/3 but of the several found on eBay nothing tells me (so that I understand) which might adapt to the Bushnell Trophy.

Jim C. ...... thanks, please let this ride in this forum for a bit, then maybe shift it to the digiscoping forum or maybe put this in the correct forum and I will post a link from a couple others, WHATEVER YOU THINK IS BEST FOR THE SYSTEM.
Attached Images

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 1, 2012 at 9:28 AM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:36 AM   #2

Bob, have you chatted with B&H. They sell adaptors for these scopes.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:15 AM   #3

James, .....I've not, there are so many T-mount adaptors; and now a lot to micro 4/3 that I really just wish to hear from someone who either has used this scope or is knowledgeable to the point of making a correct decision as to an adaptor. The T-mount adaptors can be cheap but at 15$ I really would like to get it right the first time; pretty much the same as for legacy lens matchups.

I actually once saw an article with photos of this particular scope with some Canon camera mounted and another with an Olympus C5060WZ on a different scope that the author, a machinist, had made. There are some bolt-up adaptors available that I may try just to see some results. Cabelas has this http://tinyurl.com/7pwqhjq .... I think I may get it and try it with my C7070WZ but I really want a T-mount to fit the P3 direct to the scope if there is such a thing.

BTW, Happy New Year!

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:04 AM   #4

Good luck in your quest and Happy New Year to you as well.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:37 AM   #5
Administrator

From what I can tell, that Bushnell Trophy that's 20-60mm with a 65mm objective (Bushnell Model Number 786520) does not have any other eyepieces available (and no camera adapter available).

The Bushnell Trophy that's 20-60mm with an 80mm objective (Bushnell Model Number 780080) does allow swapping eyepieces, and they offer an optional camera adapter for it (where you remove the eyepiece and replace it with the adapter, then buy a t-mount adapter for your camera that mates with the camera adapter eyepiece).

But, I don't see anything like that for your scope model anywhere.

Note the N/A in the row for Other Eyepieces for your scope model (but, the one with the 80mm objective has the ability to swap eyepieces):

http://www.bushnell.com/products/sco...trophy/786520/

If you look at the camera adapter they offer at the bottom of this page (Bushnell Part Number 780050), it says "Compatible with Elite 20-60x 80mm (78-0080) and Elite 20-60x 80mm 45 (78-8045)"

http://www.bushnell.com/products/sco...s-and-tripods/

It's this one at B&H:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...R_Digital.html

But, they don't offer one for your scope model from what I can see. So, I'm wondering if the eyepiece on it may not be removable (and if not, and you can't get a different one, you're probably not going to be able use most cameras with it, since the coupling to the optics in the eyepiece isn't going to work with them, with the possible exception of using a digikam with a tiny lens on it and pressing it directly to the eyepiece optics, and even then you'd probably get vignetting and have issues).

Some of the scopes they offer come with a camera adapter eyepiece (where you just buy a T-Mount adapter for your camera to mate to it), and the scope model like yours with an 80mm objective has an optional adapter available for it.

But, it doesn't like your scope model has that ability from what I can tell (camera adapter eyepiece that can mate to a camera with a t-mount lens adapter on it).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:58 AM   #6
Administrator

You may want to contact Bushnell and see what they say about it, just in case the eyepiece is removable and a camera adapter eyepiece from another scope model would work on it. You'll find some contact numbers here:

http://www.bushnell.com/global/customer-service/

But, from all outward indications, that's not the case with your scope model (I see no indication that it's eyepiece is replaceable with a camera adapter eyepiece) and I doubt the exit pupil and eye relief of the eyepiece that comes with it is going to allow the ability to mate a camera with it, other than perhaps using a P&S camera with a tiny lens pressed directly to the eyepiece optics if the scope eyepiece is not replaceable.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:09 PM   #7

.....thanks Jim, the eyepiece on the TROPHY does in fact unscrew (removable), but not sure why other than that the 20-60x eyepiece is maybe used on other models, it is a quality made & metal device.

I have, some while ago, used my C7070WZ held to the eyepiece and snapped off some files. Other than the severe shake at that magnification it worked; 1 or 2 were decently sharp.

I will likely try the Cabelas' mount or something similar and the compact camera clamped into the rubber eyecup, I also have a 'tiny' Canon SD-200 laying around too.

The Oly E-P3 is probably best kept to regular usage anyway.......................

Thanks again

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jan 1, 2012, 12:11 PM   #8

We were posting at the same time.... I may contact Bushnell with questions, can't but help the understanding.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jan 1, 2012, 4:12 PM   #9
Administrator

That's what I'd do (call 'em and see if you can get more information about the eyepieces they have).

If the eyepiece is removable, perhaps it's the same size as some of the camera adapter eyepieces they have for other models (even if the optics are different), as some of the other scopes they sell came with them (versus the camera adapter eyepiece being available as an option as it is on the 80mm Objective version of that 20-60mm Trophy Scope), and one that would also physically fit your scope may be available as a replacement part or something.

Or, perhaps you can find a camera adapter eyepiece for another scope brand that would fit it.

For some reason, they don't shown one for your scope model though (and the specs for it also says N/A in the other eyepieces available row).

It just doesn't seem likely that they'd make an eyepiece that attaches to one model in a unique way. So, since it is removable, perhaps you can find one that mates with a T-Mount adapter for it that's designed for another scope that would fit your scope in place of the eyepiece that came with it.