Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:02 AM   #1

Default Olympus to add new M43 lens to their lineup

I'm sure everyone is aware of this but thought I'd post it anyway.

http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=4414
Old Jan 2, 2012, 11:02 AM   #2

Too bad they did not make this lens a little faster (f2.5 or f2.8 at the WA would be very nice).

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:15 PM   #3

Yes, posted something a few weeks ago that's now dropped back to page two..

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ol...hat-think.html

I can usually think of at least one good reason to buy almost any Zuiko made by Olympus.....and have bought many of them, but this ones' got me stumped to come up with one. High-end build quality, combined with slower than the normal f4-5.6 consumer speed in a focal length range where it should have been easy to do such a lens no worse than f3.5-5.6, or even f3.5-4.5.

This ones' an easy lesson about what happens when your bottom line is to keep something as small as possible. Here, they went too far. A non-starter.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 2, 2012 at 12:19 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:52 PM   #4

What I was thinking is that if I were shooting at the smallest aperture (f6.3) and wanted to freeze something at 1/250th or higher shutter speed, the ASA would really have to be cranked up which would add a little more grain to the pic.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 4:40 PM   #5

This lens is design for video mainly. Photo second, that is why it has the power zoom. And the FL is really suited for a video guys need also. And with video, 6.3 is not a big deal as lighting is always supplied. Any good video guy will have plenty of lighting on hand.

But it does not meet a photo guys needs. It is price the in the same bracket as their 14-150 which is a faster lens at 150mm then at this lens at 50mm.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 5:34 PM   #6

Funny Olympus would try their hand at creating a lens actually better suited for video than stills, especially considering their in-camera IS is disabled when you go to video shooting with the Pens. If they really wanted to do a good video lens, they should have broken the mold and included stabilization.

Panasonic is the electronics company and is the one people need to be choosing if movie shooting is important.

Not good for stills and far from the optimum choice for movies. This just seems to me like an orphan lens out of the gate in every way you can look at it.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 2, 2012 at 5:41 PM.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 2:00 AM   #7

Video stabilization is not that important, they shoot on fix mounts all the time. Was talking to my cousins bf, who shoots video for NBC. Is is not important to them unless they are news crew on the run. Buy will set up fix mounts when the can.

Last edited by shoturtle; Jan 3, 2012 at 2:02 AM.
shoturtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 4:54 PM   #8

I don't doubt that at all with a setup like NBC, or even the group that did the Pen commercial when they used all those Zuiko HG and SHG to show everyone how easy it was to shoot with the Pen.

Remember this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6DijVApReI

Borders on false advertising if you ask me! "all that was shot with my little Pen and this 14-42 kit lens!". Of course they don't say that, but the suggestion you can is definitely there.

I would venture a guess MOST micro four-thirds users who shoot video do not use the same procedures/precautions as either NBC or the above film crew in their shooting of that commercial.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 5:42 PM   #9

You would be surprise larger formats is making allot of head way in the music video world. Pens and panny and dslr are all fix mounted to create allot of the videos out there. As a side thing my cousin BF shoot video as a side business and panny and canon camera with HD are they big camera of choice now a days. And when ever he shoots his side stuff, lighting and tripods are present. The pen are working on getting a piece of the video guys action imho. That is why this lens is out there.