Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:22 PM   #11

The Retrospective 5 is the one I have and am going to be using with E-P3 with VF-2, 7.5mm Rokinon and 12, 17 and 45 Zuikos. Great little bag.

The original BLS-1 battery that came with my E620 came with the cap, but no BLS-1 I subsequently received with a Pen or the BLS-5 that came with the E-P3 has included the cap.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:50 PM   #12

....some possibilities here http://www.greenbatteries.com/

I found the DPR thread for the TicTac and this link was in that discussion.

I have only one extra BLS-1 and I checked..... Bonnie has a TicTac box nearly empty, so......

Your P3 came with a BLS-5 ..... mine a BLS-1. You can charge and use your BLS-1s in the BCM-5 charger, that is convenient.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 3, 2012 at 11:55 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:45 AM   #13

hi we do the parks every year with our granddaughters when we go to florida. there are no problems with flying i have only ever been asked to open my camera bag once and the only comment was you like your photography. they will ask to see your bag going into the parks thats no problem. as we do this a lot i tend to take just a camera and lens into the park we go a lot, then next time i will use a different lens on the camera. is it just disney you are going to.
memory take a some more its cheap and its worth having spare in 2 weeks out there i go through around 1000 shoots. i have a traveling backpack lowepro fast pack 250 and a smaller carry case for going round the parks. have a nice trip
wave01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 1:50 PM   #14

Bonnie has a TicTac box nearly empty, so...... got the empty box, removed the sticker seal, cleaned the sticky stuff with goo'GONE popped the battery in and snapped the cap in place..... PERFECT! cap fit is snug, the cap removes with a tug; simply open the cap as was used to dispense the TicTac cap, grasp the opening and pull to remove the cap.

Gotta thank Greg for mentioning it off the DPReview post here ==>
http://tinyurl.com/6llvevs

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:05 PM   #15

That's the one!

I thought I had that link bookmarked, but I didn't and couldn't find it last night in searching with TicTac spelled every which way I could think of.

I've seen other posts by users with smaller digicam batteries that use these and have to add shims to make the fit tigher. It was nice of Olympus to spec their Pen batteries using TicTac box dimensions.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 8:27 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post
Steven - Do you have any recommendations for a waist pack? Are you able to take it on rides with you (obviously not taking pictures, but passively?) Great picture by the way, if my pictures come out half that good, I'll be ecstatic!

Actually I found the best waist pack is a large hunter's camouflaged waist pack that I picked up in the sporting goods hunting section at Walmart. (They only put them out in the fall around here.) I don't have to take it off for rides, etc, and I don't have to take it off to change lenses or get a battery or card. My waist pack is large enough to hold both the 50-200 and a kit lens in the big top compartment, and batteries and cards in the smaller front pocket. I keep my camera slung over my shoulder, always ready to grab a shot.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:47 PM   #17

Default battery case

Greg, thanks for the tic tac battery case suggestion. I just got a couple. What a great idea. I think you should post the suggestion as a new thread, so nobody misses it.

I have been looking for the perfect battery case for months. Tic Tac is it.

Last edited by D B Cooper; Jan 6, 2012 at 7:49 PM.
D B Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2012, 9:40 PM   #18

Just an update and thanks for everyone's suggestions. We got back yesterday from Disney and had a lot of fun. I ended up going with a Tamrac T-31, which was nice and compact for the EPL1, kit lens, and the 75-200 (perhaps a little too compact in retrospect, but it worked out). Got an extra battery and two 16 GB class 10 SD cards which also came in handy. The tic-tac box worked great, but I don't think airport security gave it a second look. Disney security didn't really spend much time on the bag either.

Things I learned:
  • The EPL1 isn't very fast for focusing. It's certainly a lot faster than the C5000 I used to have, but there were several shots I missed.
  • Spent most of the time with the 14-42 kit lens, but used the 75-200 several times too. It was tough to guess which I would need. The 14-150 might have been the answer.
  • Even with the little focus box, it didn't always seem to focus where I wanted. Maybe I move between the focus lock and the shutter release, I don't know. VF2 might help.
  • Need to teach my wife to use it A couple of times I went to do something ( back lot tour, Indiana Jones stunt show) and dumped the camera off to my wife, and it didn't work out that well.
  • Fireworks shooting is tough. I finally gave up because I was missing the shots and the show. Tough one to practice.
  • It would be nice if the video length was longer than 7 1/2 minutes.
All in all, I think things went well. I probably could have taken more pictures, but when I do that I find myself too focused on the pictures rather than enjoying myself. I will say that Disney had absolutely gorgeous landscaping and attention to detail. You didn't just ride rides, everything was "packaged" as part of the experience.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestions, and here's a few pictures from Disney World:
Attached Images

Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote