Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:15 PM   #1

Default Packing for Disney World

So I'm taking the family to Disney next month, and I thought I'd get some advice on what to pack camera-wise. Currently I have an EPL-1 with the 14-42 kit lens, as well as the Panasonic 45-200. I've got a couple of 4 GB SD cards that have served me well, too.

Up until now, I've gotten by without a bag, but I don't think that's going to cut it anymore. Any suggestions? I'm also thinking a spare battery and additional/bigger SD cards. Is there anything else I should consider?

Thanks!
GES
Green Eyed Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 2, 2012, 12:30 PM   #2

I'd take the battery charger along with me. As far as additional cards, that will all depend on how many pics you will be taking. Two 4GB cards should be good for around 400 pics depending on where you set your picture quality. Might want to pack a lens cleaning cloth also.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 12:08 PM   #3

Not just the battery charger for the hotel room at night, but also take at least one spare batteries for shooting while at the parks each day. Nothing is worse than having your battery die just as the fireworks show is starting. I shoot with an E-3 and I usually have to change batteries at least once before I leave that night. Since the EPL-1 is using all electronics, even to frame your shot, I would suspect that it's battery would die faster than the E-3.

Also, unless you are able to download your SD cards at night, two will probably not be enough, depending on how many shots you plan to take, and how many days you are staying.

You didn't say which of the four parks you are going to visit, all are full of photographic opportunities. We have the Florida resident annual passes, and go there frequently. There is so much to see and do, it will be hard to do everything in one vacation.

Also, it can get pretty cold there that time of year. Unlike most other major Florida cities, Orlando is not located on an ocean, so the winter nights can get colder than the other cities. Take a jacket in your backpack, in case you need it at night.

Have fun and take a lot of photos.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:27 PM   #4

James - yes I should have mentioned that I was taking along the charger too. The cleaning cloth is a good idea.

Steven - Yes, the battery dying has happened a couple of times on me, but so far it hasn't been when I was doing anything important. We'll be staying a week and hope to hit all four, but you're right, we're pretty much resigned to the fact that we're going to miss something. You say "backpack", is there a size restriction on what can be brought it?

Thanks for the replies!
Old Jan 3, 2012, 5:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Eyed Stranger View Post
James - yes I should have mentioned that I was taking along the charger too. The cleaning cloth is a good idea.

Steven - Yes, the battery dying has happened a couple of times on me, but so far it hasn't been when I was doing anything important. We'll be staying a week and hope to hit all four, but you're right, we're pretty much resigned to the fact that we're going to miss something. You say "backpack", is there a size restriction on what can be brought it?

Thanks for the replies!
There is no size restriction, they just open and inspect all bags, etc, before you can go into the park. I like to travel light, and usually just take a 14-42 and my 50-200 plus extras batteries and cards packed in a simple yet sturdy waist pack to hold the lens, etc.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:04 PM   #6

Beautiful shot, Steven.

Six years ago I bought myself a 40GB Wolverine hard drive when we went to Paris and downloaded our cards each evening. This year I am just going to buy 4-5 extra 8GB cards and not worry about doing any downloading. If I shoot more than 40-48GB worth of images over 10 days....well....I'm not going to do that!

Already have 4 batteries for the Pen and they are all going.

Never made it to Disney World and now my daughter is all grown up....but she has been.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 6:42 PM   #7

Greg, have I said, I can't remember..... I have the same Wolverine flashpac also 6-yrs ago, used it for a couple vacations and it really worked well.

Last week I found it and plugged it onto USB and found some files on it. Then I decided to see if it would read any of an SDHC, ruined the card. I was surprised that it was 'writing' to it. The screen said, 'initializing'. It never finished but the card was ruined, I bought a new one.

CAUTION! don't put a files loaded card into a non-SDHC reader/writer.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 7:03 PM   #8

boBB, that reminds me, what about airport scanners? I don't plan on checking the camera bag, but is there anything I should be concerned about card or camera-wise?

Steven - Do you have any recommendations for a waist pack? Are you able to take it on rides with you (obviously not taking pictures, but passively?) Great picture by the way, if my pictures come out half that good, I'll be ecstatic!

Greg - yeah, we've been debating on the best time to go. Our oldest is 10, and we want to get there before he's too 'cool' for Disney, but our daughter is turning 6 in April, so hopefully she'll remember it
Old Jan 3, 2012, 9:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
Greg, have I said, I can't remember..... I have the same Wolverine flashpac also 6-yrs ago, used it for a couple vacations and it really worked well.

Last week I found it and plugged it onto USB and found some files on it. Then I decided to see if it would read any of an SDHC, ruined the card. I was surprised that it was 'writing' to it. The screen said, 'initializing'. It never finished but the card was ruined, I bought a new one.

CAUTION! don't put a files loaded card into a non-SDHC reader/writer.
Ouch! I wonder what the heck that drive was doing to the card. Back in '06 it was the E300 and CF cards. I wonder if SDHC cards even existed 6 years ago. I was not using SD cards at that point & have no idea.

Depending on the type card I pick, around $50 is all four 8GB Sandisk Ultra SD cards cost. Amazing.

The only real concern I have with travelling by air is whether airport security gives any grief for having extra batteries that are not sealed at the contact point. There is a solution though.....Tic Tac containers! I cannot find the picture someone showed me some time back, but the BLS-1 or BLS-5 cells fit perfectly in empty tic tac containers.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2012, 10:10 PM   #10

I am not aware of any airport scan issues with cameras, cards etc.

I only ever used the Wolverine with CF cards off my E-300 & C7070WZ cameras and maybe a couple times with a SD card from our Canon SD-200. I also used it to carry files to and from work, loaded via USB from the computers. Actually I have some files on it that were written more than 5-yrs ago and that was what I was looking at when I decided to check the SDHC card.

For the BLS1 batteries, thanks for the storage tip...... Presently I am keeping extra in a very small plastic bag. Some batteries come with end-caps, my cheapies don't.

Bags are such personal choice equipment, a couple come to mind -- Think Tank Retrospective 5 & 10. I have a TTR5 and really like it for day hikes but it will not carry an iPAD and since I've only one m43 lens the bag is a bit limited for space.

TAMRAC, TENBA have small messenger type bags that work well with m43 gear & are sized to carry an iPAD or small Netbook.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote