Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 18, 2012, 1:58 PM   #21

That new Oly camera sounds like it's going to be pretty pricey.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:22 PM   #22

Hard to know right now what its' going to run. Lots of missing pieces we haven't seen or do not know yet.

If it only initially ships as a body+Kit lens, we know the 12-50 is going to sell by itself for something like $499, so the combination is going to be pricey.

Making the body dust and drip proof to the level of the E5 (assuming that's the case) is definitely going to cost extra and any new technologies are always going to cost early adopters more. Anything less than $1,000 for the body only is probably not happening. $1,400-$1,500 is probably something close to where the body-12-50 kit opens, like the GH2 + it's kit lens initially cost, unless the body is just a knock-it-out-of-the-park job and costs more by itself.
Greg Chappell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:35 PM   #23

I'm suspecting and counting on it being in the body only $1400-$1500 range, in which case I will need approval from Bonnie to even go to Arlington Camera; just to say hi and look around.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:40 PM   #24

Bob, I think that given the Sony NEX-7 body-only price of $1200, you're probably quite right. This will not be a budget camera. But wouldn't we all love to be pleasantly surprised?
Biro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 2:58 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBBrennan View Post
I'm suspecting and counting on it being in the body only $1400-$1500 range, in which case I will need approval from Bonnie to even go to Arlington Camera; just to say hi and look around.
Mmmm, "look around", and possibly gain a little weight on your way out.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 3:13 PM   #26

Having already paid for a plane ticket and 10 night's worth of hotel in the middle of Paris for May 28-June 10, with lots more related expenses to come, my discretionary income for the first 7 months of the year is tapped out, but it's certainly fun speculating.

Hopefully the actual finding out in February will be as fun...
Old Jan 18, 2012, 5:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Having already paid for a plane ticket and 10 night's worth of hotel in the middle of Paris for May 28-June 10, with lots more related expenses to come, my discretionary income for the first 7 months of the year is tapped out, but it's certainly fun speculating.

Hopefully the actual finding out in February will be as fun...
Hi Greg,

A wonderful way to spend your discretionary income. Martha & I have been planning a river cruise on the Seine River that goes to Paris plus a number of other beautiful locales for a few years now. Each time we get close to pulling the trigger, something like the roof needs repairing or some other boring but necessary expense gets in the way of it. I'm looking forward to seeing this years photos from your trip. I still remember the wonderful photos you took from your last Paris adventure using the 7-14mm lens.

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 7:05 AM   #28

FWIW - Per one of the web sites, the price will be $1,100 USA dollars.

(FT4) Olympus OM-D priced at $1.100 or 1.000 Euro in Europe

We just got the price info from Asian sources. The upcoming Olympus OM-D should be priced at around $1.100 in USA or 1.000 Euro in Europe. I think that’s an OK price for a high quality weather sealed body with integrated viewfinder and new sensor (I have been told the sensor is Olympus “tweaked” and designed). That’s around $600 (or 500 Euro) less than the just announced price of the Fuji X PRO 1 ( more about that on Fujirumors). And the Fuji isn’t weather sealed

Last edited by Steven R; Jan 19, 2012 at 7:12 AM.
Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2012, 12:10 PM   #29

Which would probably make the body+ "kit" lens (12-50) in the $1,500-$1,600US, assuming a price of $499 for the lens, unless they discount the pair by some amount if purchased together.

Close to about what I was figuring.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 1:34 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven R View Post
FWIW - Per one of the web sites, the price will be $1,100 USA dollars.

We just got the price info from Asian sources. The upcoming Olympus OM-D should be priced at around $1.100 in USA or 1.000 Euro in Europe. I think that’s an OK price for a high quality weather sealed body with integrated viewfinder and new sensor (I have been told the sensor is Olympus “tweaked” and designed). That’s around $600 (or 500 Euro) less than the just announced price of the Fuji X PRO 1 ( more about that on Fujirumors). And the Fuji isn’t weather sealed
Now that's (Fuji X PRO 1) a sweet looking camera and appears to be designed very well. Very nostalgic in appearance. I best stick with my PL2 though. I've been replacing cameras more often than shoes and my wife thinks I'm nuts. She always says, "I can't tell the difference in picture quality from what you had and the new one". She may have something there. I best get that camera right out of my mind now. Besides, I got a decent amount invested in the PL2 with the addition of the VF-2 and 40-150mm lens.