Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 20, 2012, 4:58 PM   #31

Default fist actual image

http://www.43rumors.com/

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 8:21 AM   #32

FYI - the professional video maker Astrodesign, plus Kenko-Tokina, and Tamron companies, have all just joined the Micro Four-thirds group.

(Astrodesign apparently does specialized high resolution video cameras for medical and business uses, it does not appear to be aimed at the consumer.)
http://www.astrodesign.co.jp/english...p-4414_am-4412

Also, the latest speculation is that the 16mp sensor on the coming new m4/3 OM-D series may be made by Sony. Claims are that video performance exceeds the best from Panasonic.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:26 AM   #33

Seems like Sony would want to incorporate this new sensor in their next camera rather than market it to a competitor. One never knows I guess.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 9:45 AM   #34

I would be really suprised if the sensor is not the one currently being used in the Panasonic G3. If it turns out to be a Sony sensor, that'd be pretty good, but I'm not holding my breath on that one. Seems a bit far-fetched, as would the video claim, especially when shot with tele lenses since the IS in the Olympus system is not active in video, but then again, video is on the line below the last thing I will be looking at in terms of feature set.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 26, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2012, 10:52 AM   #35

There continues to be a lot of speculation about who made the sensor, some even thinking that is a Oly designed one. However, there is also reports that Sony want to buy 20-30% of Olympus. If they become a partner with Oly, then the Sony sensor possibility does not seem as far fetched. Oh well, probably be a lot more rumors flying around until Feb 8th.

(Sony has already said that it plans to market their new senor to other companies such as cell phone makers, etc. So apparently they see money to be made by not keeping it exclusively in Sony equipment.)

Last edited by Steven R; Jan 26, 2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 11:04 AM   #36

I think Sony's interest in Olympus is primarily related to the medical equipment/endoscope business where Olympus is the world leader..

http://techcrunch.com/2012/01/24/nik...mpus-alliance/

In any event, it sounds like it will not be until April at the earliest when Olympus holds a shareholders meeting that such an investment might be approved, but Sony does sell sensors to anyone wanting to buy them, whether they own part of that company or not. We heard the same thing about Olympus having some hand in the design of the sensor used in the E-P3. How much their part in it was beyond possible specification details to Panasonic I have no idea.

Olympus can give them the endoscope and Sony can give Olympus the sensor to better record what's in there....uh...well, sort of....

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 26, 2012 at 3:24 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 6:04 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
I think Sony's interest in Olympus is .......................................

Olympus can give them the endoscope and Sony can give Olympus the sensor to better record what's in there....uh...well, sort of....
Old Jan 31, 2012, 9:44 PM   #38

8 days until Feb 8, the supposed announcement date....
Old Feb 1, 2012, 12:50 AM   #39

Wink

.....my target date whether to pre-order is now 7-days.

I want the decision done early so I can enjoy announcement day without stress.
I already know I want it, that is the easy part.
I've hmmmmmmd abt it so Bonnie is wondering what's up (she remembers Sept, the E-P3).
I really want to be FIRST to have one but that won't happen.
I have two extra batteries already in Tic-Tac boxes and a couple SDHC CL-10 so those are ready.
I have an extra bag but probably will get a Think Tank Retro-10 for what I have now, that will free the Retro5
I've upgraded software to Corel After Shot Pro; the OM-D should be perfect for jpg files and ASP is non-destructive for processing jpg, that should be fine.

I think I am ready for OM-D / E-xxx, now need to look into the 'greeter/cart presenter' position up there on the corner, hoping it would pay double-time for my birthday in March.

Gosh! I'm getting anxious, gotta make a decision about this and have only 7-days until target-date. Maybe will drop in at Arlington Camera to pick up the bag and have that done.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2012, 1:11 AM   #40

Oh, no.....not another camera bag....