Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 4, 2012, 6:36 PM   #1

Default VF-2 eye cup, who's changed it?

....have you changed the eye cup on your VF-2 to the Olympus EP-9? If you have, where did you get it and do you like it better than, or as well as, the standard eye cup that came with the VF-2?

If you've changed the eye cup would you consider letting me have the standard one..... I have lost mine!

Please do not respond-post to this with selling or pricing text, that is not allowable in the forums here. PM only with details.

Jim C., .....please remove this post if it is out-of-order.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 4, 2012 at 6:43 PM.
boBBrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 4, 2012, 10:54 PM   #2

I've considered the EP-9. The problem for me would be, my glasses. I just can't take full advantage since I can't press the cup right up to my face and eliminate all side light.

Olympus does not show a replacement standard part for the VF-2 eyepiece, but you cannot be the only user to have lost it. I wonder if a call to the service center would get you a replacement part?

Maybe even Arlington Camera might have a "special" number to call.

Last edited by Greg Chappell; Jan 5, 2012 at 1:10 PM.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:16 PM   #3

....yep, it ain't available. I lost one from the E-3 and bought it out of Kong Kong @ 6$ so I quickly took a look for this one, nothing found except a few extravagant priced EP-9. B&H does list the EP-9 @ 16$. I would just like to buy the original, if someone has one as a spare.

I know where and how I lost it. Last week when I was out with the 50-200 mounted to the monopod I was trekking down a steep grade and laid the monopod across my shoulder and when I next used the camera I noticed the piece was gone. I won't do that again, fortunately the VF-2 did not slip off, that would have been really not good.

.......he likes Olympus, Apple MAC & SmugMug best of the choices; he likes that he has choices

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 5, 2012 at 10:19 AM.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:09 AM   #4

The extent of me messing with that is just in turning it to set the diopter. Haven't even tried taking the thing off. Does it twist off, slide up over the top or bottom or come off some other way? It's not obvious just looking at it and applying gentle preasure any of several directions does not seem to budge it at all.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 11:31 AM   #5

.....it acts as a cap, to remove gently roll an edge, there is a notched groove it fits in and an indicator mark on the viewer to align with the indicator on the eyepiece. It does fit rather snug but rolling an edge will remove it easily.

I was wearing a 'hoody' (with the top down,,, lol) and likely caught it on the hood roll. Actually I remember rotating the camera on my shoulder; as I was going down the incline the balance did not feel right and I realized it was laying sideways so I rotated to where the lens was cradled on my shoulder. That is likely when the eyepiece was stripped, luckily not the viewer.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:36 PM   #6

Hang on -- you got an eye cup with your VF-2? Similar to the optional and unobtainable EP-9 eye cup??
KulaCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:53 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KulaCube View Post
Hang on -- you got an eye cup with your VF-2? Similar to the optional and unobtainable EP-9 eye cup??

......no, not the EP-9, and not similar. It was the small rubber ring, the standard piece, that I lost. It is not found available from any place.

I've an email to Olympus America service/repair but do not expect to hear from that, could not talk to a real person this morning.

boBBrennan.smugmug.com
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:48 PM   #8

Default ......I settled for an EP-9

This is what I learned from Olympus America regarding the standard eyecup for the VF-2:

.) ......two emails and two-weeks to get the first response to my question, "how may I get a STD eyecup for my VF-2?"

A) .....replace it with an EP-9, currently out of stock at Oly/A so get on the waiting list for notification when the EP-9 becomes available at Oly/A.

.) .....my reply: I do not want the EP-9, I asked again about the STD eyecup which came on the VF-2.

A) .....the STD eyecup for the VF-2 is not to be available and the only way to get one, send my VF-2 to Oly America for service @ repair flat-rate $62.85 + my local tax @ 8.25% + shipping one-way.

Unlike the dSLR eyepieces which are plentiful at less than $10 from numerous Asian eBay sellers, the VF-2 STD part is non-existent AND the EP-9 is outlandishly expensive with some at more than $100 USD.

I ordered an EP-9 from B&H ($15.99 delivered) and received it today.

Though I don't much like the EP-9 and like Greg I wear glasses full-time therefore cannot take advantage of the EP-9 design for blocking light I have it on the VF-2 and will get used to it.

At some time I may cut out the center which will leave it the same OD as the original though a couple mm deeper which would be alright.

CASE CLOSED......................

boBBrennan.smugmug.com

Last edited by boBBrennan; Jan 17, 2012 at 9:51 PM.
Old Jan 18, 2012, 9:29 AM   #9

is that blue emblem, 140-600, come standard on that lens? First time I ever saw anything like that.

Last edited by James Emory; Jan 18, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
James Emory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2012, 11:25 AM   #10

That's a blue sticker that can be peeled off or kept on. It just gives the 35mm equivalent focal lengths.

They did the same thing on the micro 75-300, except it is a permanently attached plate..