Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital SLR and Interchangeable Lens Cameras > Olympus Micro Four Thirds

Old Jan 11, 2012, 12:16 PM   #1

Default A perspective on the mirror less mkt

Here's an article recently published by Thom Hogan relative to the current mirror less market state of affairs and where it's likely headed.

http://www.sansmirror.com/newsviews/...-mirrorle.html

Zig

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
zig-123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jan 11, 2012, 3:56 PM   #2

Olympus ran TV ads here in the US for a few months when the Pens were launched. Haven't seen one now in forever. I'm not sure if anyone at Olympus or Panasonic knows how to spell "marketing", much less do it well. Nothing new there....

Nikon has marketed the 1 series massively. It was about all you saw during the baseball World Series. It would be interesting to know what it cost them to have the national network show virtually all the replays on the "Nikon 1 Replay Videocam".
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2012, 7:31 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Chappell View Post
Olympus ran TV ads here in the US for a few months when the Pens were launched. Haven't seen one now in forever. I'm not sure if anyone at Olympus or Panasonic knows how to spell "marketing", much less do it well. Nothing new there....

Nikon has marketed the 1 series massively. It was about all you saw during the baseball World Series. It would be interesting to know what it cost them to have the national network show virtually all the replays on the "Nikon 1 Replay Videocam".

Unfortunately for Olympus, management is busy running around trying to straighten out the mess they made when they tried to cover up billions of dollars worth of losses that they created, in the first place.

I don't get their logic or the stockholders logic. Management fires the CEO who blew the whistle on them for covering up their ineptitude. Isn't it usually the over way around?

Unless, there is a wholesale change in the camera division's management, I see nothing positive for them on the horizon. This is a shame too, since the engineering and R&D certainly have competent and innovative people who have come up with some pretty fine products.

So you want to be a better photographer? Open your eyes and take a look at what is all around you.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:06 AM   #4

I would like to believe that Olympus realizes their potential and will do what it takes to correct the problems. Their first goal should be effective marketing.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:11 AM   #5

From Thom's post...

No, I'm not predicting the demise of m4/3. I'm predicting that it will not stay atop the mirrorless market in terms of overall market share for very long. Olympus and Panasonic will iterate like mad to try to "fix" their problem, and they won't abandon the mirrorless market short of abandoning cameras overall, which ain't going to happen without some sort of other major corporate failure. But their expectations of being a top-three camera producer aren't likely to be met. It's clearly Canon, Sony, and Nikon for overall camera market share today, and it's likely to remain amongst those three (though perhaps with some changes of order), and mirrorless will almost certainly tilt their way, too.

I think I'm a "fan boy" as Thom states. Why do I bother reading his stuff is beyond me...I guess I do it so I can then write something up

I'm not going to bother researching his meaningless comments made in the past 5 years or so but I can almost assure that he has not mentioned SONY as being a real contender in the photography world. Look at him now...saying that the three major contenders are Canon, SONY and Nikon. As long as Panasonic and Olympus continue improving the m4/3 system focused on IQ, they will be OK. They've already produced a good variety of excellent lenses for the system although they're still missing some in the mid to long range.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:25 AM   #6

Good points, Tullio,

The main reason I stay with Olympus is because of the quality of their lenses.

I still have the E-30. Have no plans on selling it, largely, because the 12-60mm
SWD is glued to it, at this point.

And, even though,the 12-60mm is a beast on the E-P2, I still use it extensively
when going to shoot flowers up close or landscapes at a 12mm focal range.

And, as for being a fan boy; It's hard not to have an emotional link to the company. I've used their digital cameras since 2005, starting with the C-5060WZ digicam. Like many others, I moved up the camera chain with the E-500, E-510, and E-30. When m43 came out, I got the E-PL1 and shortly thereafter, an E-P2.

I really do wish them well. It's just frustrating to see them get so close and then trip and fall.

Zig

Old Jan 12, 2012, 12:23 PM   #7

Although I like Panasonic (I've had Pannys cameras since they released the LC33 way back when), being realistic, I think if Oly folds, unless they are acquired by a company willing to continue investing in the m4/3 system, I think m4/3 may stall (or even die). Panasonic alone will not be able to make it.

Tullio
Tullio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 1:58 PM   #8

I'm with Zig. When I bought my E-PL2 kit I was pleasantly surprised at the quality for the money. The "kit" lens is well built and the optics are noticeably better, as well as the build quality, than the "kit" lens I had with my Canon DSLR. A decent Canon short range zoom lens will cost well over 300 bucks. I bought a 500 dollar Canon lens for my Canon DSLR when I had it and I honestly do not see any image quality difference between that lens and my "kit" Oly lens other than the Oly lens was 250 bucks less.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 2:37 PM   #9

Tullio,

No disrespect, but with regards to Canon, Nikon and Sony being "on top" Thom is referring to market share. It's not delusional. Here is a post regarding 2010 worldwide market share:
http://forums.steves-digicams.com/ge...et-shares.html

Canon, Sony and Nikon are the top 3 in digicam and interchangeable lens. All Thom is suggesting is that the same problems that kept Oly from being a top-3 player in digicam and DSLR will keep them from being a top-3 player when all the other players are all-in in the mirrorless market. It's never been about Oly making a bad product. while I'm not a Hogan fan per-se, why is it you think he's off the mark saying that Canon, Nikon and SOny will be the "big 3" when they're the big 3 in the other categories? At least as far as market share goes.
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tullio View Post
Although I like Panasonic (I've had Pannys cameras since they released the LC33 way back when), being realistic, I think if Oly folds, unless they are acquired by a company willing to continue investing in the m4/3 system, I think m4/3 may stall (or even die). Panasonic alone will not be able to make it.
If it ever came down to it, I think Panasonic is in a position it could take in the Olympus product design team much the same way Sony gobbled up the Minolta team and photographic product line. Panasonic is huge and has already integrated it's system with much of the Olympus technology with the anti-dust and flash systems. At this point they have a lineup that could easily survive on its' own and do very well. Adding Olympus know-how with the JPEG processing would be the icing on the cake for Panasonic.
Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote